Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef rib help

Options
Picked up a rack of beef ribs from my butcher. They are not plate ribs, the tack is pretty similar in size to a slab of baby backs, just thicker. He called them the equivalent of spare ribs. Any thoughts on what you would call them and cooking them? I searched posts and found plenty on plate ribs...
EggMcMcc
Central Illinois
First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    A pic would help but given your description it sounds like beef back ribs that he removed for someone who wanted a boneless roast for the holidays.  Any beef rib rack I have cooked (and currently partial to the back ribs) I run around 250-260*F on the calibrated dome and go til they pass the tooth-pick test.  Depending on thickness could be 4-5+ hours.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    Thanks @lousubcap . That sounds like a plan for the super bowl.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @EggMcMic - good call as I have a 7 bone beef back rack in the queue for the game along with pork ribs.  The early risers will enjoy the beef ribs which I find beat their pork cousins every time.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I agree with @lousubcap. Sounds like back ribs to me. I like to cook them just like baby backs or spares. I'm in the 3/1/.5 camp.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Assuming back ribs.........Lou (Frank) is your main man when it comes to ribs.....so my post in no way contradicts his method. Myself I have a slightly different approach. I generally cook the ribs till they draw up to a point where you have an inch of bone showing. I pull, rest and cut them into individual ribs. From there I like to sauce and put back on for a while till you get some nice caramelization of the sauce. We probably aren't talking a difference in time......but  with some added steps. Sorry i am a sauce guy....but they are equally great without.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    For beef ribs,  I like to season with S&P only (and lightly with the S).  Indirect at 270 till they prob with no resistance.  Usually about 6 hours + or -.  
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @northGAcock - I gotta admit that I will do whatever on the prep end but once I offer the sacrifice to the BGE, I am pretty much hands-off.  That said, I am in the minimalist approach.  
    @EggMcMic As with all cooks here, there are many ways to get to the promised land.  Pick one and go-remember (if you can or care to-adult beverage impact) how it turned out and then change up one variable at a time for the next experiment.  Above all, have fun!  FWIW-
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like oak smoke on my beef ribs and briskets. They are plenty good with hickory or pecan, but I really like the bite that the oak brings to the table. The beef holds up well. If you cannot find oak chunks, I suggest buying a bag of oak pellets if available. Toss a handful of pellets in there and away you go. Enjoy.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    Options
    Does anyone use mesquite for smoke on beef ins??
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Sure!
    Why not?
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    daffy1909 said:
    Does anyone use mesquite for smoke on beef ins??
    Mesquite imparts a very strong flavor, so you don't need much, but it goes quite well with beef.  I'm a bigger fan of using pecan or oak along with cherry when smoking beef.  Using mesquite wood for grilling on the Egg is perfect.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com