Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Suggestions for Rockfish filets

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
also called Striped Bass. I have 2# in 4 filets, skin on. I‘m comfortable grill salmon, but haven’t done rockfish. Considering not using the Egg and broiling it. Thoughts?
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think I’d grill it on a bed of either lemon or orange slices.   I’ve not ever cooked rockfish but it looks to be white and flaky and that’s how I egg that type of fish.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Arkysmokin
    Options
    I think last time I did rockfish I cedar planked them

Live in Austin/From Arkansas

XL BGE

Options
    It’s seems much flakier and more delicate than salmon
    Member since 2009
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Broiled is good, so is baked, but fried is excellent. Want some egg smoke, CI on the grate, garlic OL and salt and pepper, a couple thin slices of lemon on top. 
  • Mikeymise
    Options
    This is one item that actually (my opinion / fish lover) is better away from coals.  Because of it's mild and sweet flavor, it's best enhanced by other ingredients.  A fave in this house is baked (covered) along with a dozen littleneck clams, some ripe diced plum tomatoes, splash of white wine, some sliced garlic, capers, and some chopped Italian parsley leaves.  No, not baked for 45 minutes, like many recipes.  Just enough until the clams pop, maybe 20-25 minutes for your thin fillets.  Keep a close eye on it.  This is the only fish we don't grill.  Buon appetit
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I’m with @Woodchunk on this one. 

#2 (healthy) would be bake it. 

#1 would be fry it and serve with some hush puppies. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    edited January 2018
    Options
    it's mild flavored so don't overpower with too much seasoning.  I usually do S&P and brush with garlic butter.  bake and then maybe broil a bit to add some color to the surface.  That's what I did with my share of these back in December. 
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Cook it arroser, on the stove. Fry skin down for awhile, then flip, add butter, garlic and, thyme then tilt the pan and spoon-baste the skin side. Serve with spinach, potatoes or whatever. Get-laid technique right there.
    Options
    All good suggestions. Going with @Mikeymise technique. Oven glassware. EVOO, garlic, S, P, fish rub, flat Italian parsley, capers, white wine, grape tomatoes. Foiled at 350* for 20 minutes then broil for a minute or two. 
    Member since 2009
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Turned out OK. Maybe next time I put the fish on top of all the stuff. And season it harder. Not a complete loss. At $15/# from Tom Leonard’s, I was a little apprehensive about screwing it up. 
    Member since 2009
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
  • Gman2
    Gman2 Posts: 421
    Options
    Sorry I'm late to the thread but I like cooking on CI skillet with a little butter and evoo, season with DP redfish magic 
    LBGE, Mechanicsville, Va., LBGE, Duck, NC, XLBGE Wake, Va.
  • Chief9
    Chief9 Posts: 141
    Options
    Broil with butter and dp raging river. When the fish is done, typically 4-6 mins, pull and cover in a mixture of blended mayo and fresh grated Parmesan cheese. Bake to the broiler until the mixture begins to brown... Really good and super easy
    Carrollton, Va