Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carryover temp rise?

Options
Is the there any way to reliably predict how much the temperature of a steak will increase after you take it off the grill?

I just cooked an inch and a half thick NY Strip. I put it on at 60F, the Egg was about 550F direct. I cooked it to an internal temp of 115F. I wanted to wind up at 125F for rare, but it hit 136 after 5 minutes of rest when I cut it.

I've had them increase 5 degrees, and I've had them go up 30. Anybody got a way to predict the rise?

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I normally factor in about 10 degrees, but I don't think there's a bullet proof way of determining carry over temp. Every piece of meat is different. 

For a 1.5" steak, I'll suggest a reverse sear, assuming you have a plate setter:

250 indirect to an IT of around 110-115. 
    Pull, loosely tent, and rest while you pull the plate setter get the Egg up to direct sear temp - 500 or better.
    Sear it on both sides for about a minute and change
    No need to rest again - have at it.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    Options
    I thought about a reverse seat, but it was a weekday dinner and I thought it would probably take forever...

Next time!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    It’s all in how hot you cook it

hotter will result in more carry over cook lower will be less
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    It really doesn't take too long to get to 110-115 IT - about 2 beers worth.  =)

The trick is planning and tools - plan ahead for the indirect time, and have a rehearsed plan to move that smoking hot plate setter to a safe landing spot in one quick, smooth move when you pull it. Trust me - it's HOT even through the welding gloves I use and you'll want to be QUICK. Keep the landing zone CLOSE when you pull the plate setter. 

The Egg will quickly come up to searing temp when you open it up, and you will be feasting in no time.  :)
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Wpilon
    Wpilon Posts: 42
    Options
    Hans61 said:

That makes sense, anybody got a "rule of thumb" for that? Like 550=21 degrees, 500=16degrees, etc, etc?

If is it too variable?
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    Wpilon said:
    Hans61 said:

That makes sense, anybody got a "rule of thumb" for that? Like 550=21 degrees, 500=16degrees, etc, etc?

If is it too variable?
    There is no "rule of thumb" or hard set formula. Every piece of meat is different. This is where "cook sense" comes in......use your best judgement. 

It's a lot of "feel", and you will get it as you cook more. 
  • Hans61
    Options
    Wpilon said:
    Hans61 said:

If is it too variable?
    I was talking about carry over from the warmup not the sear.  

I’d say if your going low 250ish you’ll gain 5-10 degrees while resting waiting for the searing temps. If your going hotter 325-350 you’ll gain at least 10 - so the heat during indirect will impact how early you should pull them out

I like to pull in the 120-125 range then sear.  I always get med rare to medium which is my sweet spot 130-140

sear around 90 secs per side, it won’t affect the middle temp that much

I should also clarify I’m talking about thick steaks one and a half to two inches thick
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Hans61
    Options
    Dude I just realized you weren’t asking about reverse sear. 

Try it it you’ll get more predictable results 
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf