Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wing Dilemma

I've been married for close to 30 years.  The first 28 of those, I liked the flats on a wing and my wife liked the drummies.  All was bliss when ordering wings out or making them at home.  Then my wife decides she likes the flats also.  UGH!  Sometimes I can get Fresh Market to just sell the flats, but usually not.  So now I'm trying to find a way to make the drummies more desirable.  My first attempt was to wrap them in bacon as seen below.  They had a commercial BBQ rub and I added a cherry chunk with the lump.  While these look good in the picture, they came out way too smokey and with too much BBQ rub for my taste.  I think the bacon adds enough smoke flavor, so next time I'll leave out the cherry chunk.

@RajunCajun's Quack Quack post has me thinking that adding something sweet with the bacon may be the answer.  Next time I think I'll  just add honey at the end.

Do any of you cook your drummies different from the flats?

FYI - the flats were awesome.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Well, I guess after 30 years something was bound to go wrong.lol
    Par cook the bacon some before you wrap them around the drummies.
    This will render the fat a little more and let it crisp up as well as let the chicken crisp up more. But this just might be a loosing battle for you.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    edited January 2018
    I'm guessing the texture and moisture properties of the flat are the drivers here (I am a big flats fan) and as such good luck with changing that.  You may want to pull the drumettes a little earlier to help with the moisture retention. 
    Otherwise, I would work at figuring out to make the drummies much more appealing for my tastes.  For advance planning, National Chicken Wing Day is July 29th.  Good luck-doesn't sound like a quick solution.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Double the order of flats, all is good.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    you had it made for a while lol.  I'd just split the flats 50/50 with her and suck it up. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    30 years is better than most.  Time to find a new one.  ;)  My 30th is this year as well.  FYI...(I just looked this up) - 30th wedding anniversary gift is pearls.  Trade pearls for the flats?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    34 years here come April and my wife doesn't even like wings  :o.  I told her I was going to trade her in on 2 new 20 year old modles.  I was unceremoniously told I am not wired for 220  :)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Kcheves
    Kcheves Posts: 92

I'm personally a drumette lover, and don't understand the appeal of the flapper, but one option would be to make lollipops out of the drumettes.  It makes them easier to eat, and you can remove some of the skin, if desired.

For those that aren't aware, Buffalo Wild Wings will let you order just drumettes or flappers.

"Semper ubi sub ubi"

San Diego, CA

• RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    @Kcheves. Did not know, thanks!
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Photo Egg said:
    Well, I guess after 30 years something was bound to go wrong.lol
    Par cook the bacon some before you wrap them around the drummies.
    This will render the fat a little more and let it crisp up as well as let the chicken crisp up more. But this just might be a loosing battle for you.

We've had more go wrong than this  :):):)

Par cooking is a good suggestion - I sometimes do that with ABT's.
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    lousubcap said:
    I'm guessing the texture and moisture properties of the flat are the drivers here (I am a big flats fan) and as such good luck with changing that.  You may want to pull the drumettes a little earlier to help with the moisture retention. 
    Otherwise, I would work at figuring out to make the drummies much more appealing for my tastes.  For advance planning, National Chicken Wing Day is July 29th.  Good luck-doesn't sound like a quick solution.  
    Thanks @lousubcap - I think I will keep experimenting.  I usually just take leftovers to our friends at our local watering hole - so this is a big bonus for them.  Those folks love everything that comes off my eggs, even when not up to my standards.
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    @stv8r - good point and cheaper than attorneys!! =)
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    edited January 2018
    dang @TNegger - I'm eying a new egg table, and pearls will mess up my budget 

@Tspud1 may be pissed at you!! =)=)
    Memphis, TN 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I've been married for close to 30 years.  The first 28 of those, I liked the flats on a wing and my wife liked the drummies.  All was bliss when ordering wings out or making them at home.  Then my wife decides she likes the flats also.  UGH!  Sometimes I can get Fresh Market to just sell the flats, but usually not.  So now I'm trying to find a way to make the drummies more desirable.  My first attempt was to wrap them in bacon as seen below.  They had a commercial BBQ rub and I added a cherry chunk with the lump.  While these look good in the picture, they came out way too smokey and with too much BBQ rub for my taste.  I think the bacon adds enough smoke flavor, so next time I'll leave out the cherry chunk.

@RajunCajun's Quack Quack post has me thinking that adding something sweet with the bacon may be the answer.  Next time I think I'll  just add honey at the end.

51 years here married to the same sweet gal and she also just started preferring flats over the drummies she has ALWAYS liked best all these years! Yet with regular chicken and turkey all she wants is white meat. Oh well...
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    @bucky925 - congrats on 34 years!! 
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    @Kcheves - good advice on the lollipop- thx 
    Memphis, TN 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    TN_Egger said:
    30 years is better than most.  Time to find a new one.  ;)  My 30th is this year as well.  FYI...(I just looked this up) - 30th wedding anniversary gift is pearls.  Trade pearls for the flats?
    No man....it’s the year of the card!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    I'm a flats man and always will be.  The only good thing about the drums is that they are easier to dip into the ranch cups.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    @bucky925 - congrats on 34 years!! 
    A whole lot of "yes dears".  Now she may tell a totally different story. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    This is not a dilemma.  Your wife likes wings, so you get to eat wings more often.

you get to eat wings more often.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    @Legume- very observant!!
    Memphis, TN 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Divorce is one option.
    You can always decide to run in the parallel universe-cheaper than a divorce as long as all agree to the ground rules.  Although that would make the price of drummers and flappers pale in comparison.  FWIW-  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Cap is probably right if you are cost conscious.
    @RRP - awesome 51 years together is so special! 
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    edited January 2018
    I
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    Legume said:
    This is not a dilemma.  Your wife likes wings, so you get to eat wings more often.

you get to eat wings more often.
    Great point - psychiatrist would have charged me $$ for that -  owe you a drink
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day

Divorce is one option.
    Too  expensive - plus I love that woman. 
    Memphis, TN 

• mEGG_My_Day
    RRP said:

51 years here married to the same sweet gal and she also just started preferring flats over the drummies she has ALWAYS liked best all these years! Yet with regular chicken and turkey all she wants is white meat. Oh well...
    That is so awesome - hope I get to 51 years with my wife!! All the best to you.
    Memphis, TN 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    I'm sorry I can't help you.  Anyone who separates a wing should just eat a chicken breast.  Cut the tip off and smoke/grill whole....eat whole.  There is no other way.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,662
    i dont know who posted it a while back, but cook the drumettes to the outside of the pan rim, even outside the perimeter directly over the fire for a while. wingettes toward the middle of the pan. makes a big difference to me. also, to mix it up,marinate or dress up the sauce differently on the two types. if im cooking alot of wings i do a buffalo style, an asian, and a rub only or with sauce, then they get mixed up on the platter
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it