Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Virgin Instant Pot Voyage

Options
Tried to keep it simple.  Meat sauce to go with some in the oven spaghetti squash.   

Started out sautéing some onion,carrots and celery.   

Then added ground beef and cooked till it was nice n brown.   Then in went some red wine till it reduced a bit.  After that I added some fish sauce and crushed tomatoes and bay leaves.  Under pressure it went for 15mins with a natural release.  
Here it is just after the top was removed 

And on spaghetti squash 

I was pretty pleased with the first learning adventure.   Next time will be better per what I’ve learned tonight.   Moral of the story is I came damn close to replicating a sauce that I would cook for 6 hrs in 1:10.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    Love the IP for soups and sauces, you can turn them out in an hour like you did above.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Looks amazing, 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well done sir!  I applaud your use of fish sauce - a vey under-utilized source of umami.  

I use fish sauce and/or worcestershire in a lot of recipes to add depth.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Well done sir!  I applaud your use of fish sauce - a vey under-utilized source of umami.  

I use fish sauce and/or worcestershire in a lot of recipes to add depth.
    I really like what fish sauce does to most dishes. I think this one could benefit from some tightly chopped shrooms.  I think it would add to the Umami flavor and texture 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Nice. I did something similar with all the excess tomatoes from my garden as they ripened. The speed of making the tomato sauce in the Instant Pot meant I could do it as soon as I got enough tomatoes and have it in the freezer in a couple of hours with very little work on my part. 

Much better than the slow cooker method I used before. The sauce also seems 'brighter' from the IP over the slow cooker.