Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on moink balls

Options
Going to give moink balls a try for the first time but wanted to know what general temperature I should use for indirect, and roughly how long it should take for the bacon to crisp up (for planning purposes)? When I searched it seemed like it was all over the map. 

Also trying to decide which run to use between Yardbird and Swamp Venom, I’m sure both would be good. 
Raleigh, NC

LBGE

Comments

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Here’s what works for me:

Store bought frozen meatballs (about 1/2 oz sized), thawed a few hours in the fridge (hard to push a toothpick or skewer through if it is completely frozen), wrapped with a 1/2 piece of bacon, and lightly dusted with your favorite BBQ rub.

Cook either indirect around 280 degrees grid temp with a drip pan or raised direct at around 260 degrees grid temp.  

Smoke over a fruit wood of your choice and cook for around 75-90 minutes (until the bacon has reached your desired crispiness).  If you used frozen meatballs, they were already cooked so you don't really worry about the meatball IT.  If you make your own fresh meatballs from raw meats you'll want to check their temps.

Dip the MOINKs into BBQ sauce or brush sauce onto them.  Cook for about 10-15 minutes to allow the sauce to set.

Yardbird is great on them. I’m not much of a spicy guy but if you are swamp venom should be fine.  Light coats of each sounds good to me.

A past cook for reference: 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1144082/bacon-wrapped-meatballs-for-work#latest

I like using skewers for faster flipping and handling.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I egg mine with the ps legs inverted and then put the moink balls in a disosable pan. I go 20 minutes at 350. Then I squirt some BBQ sauce on them, sprinkle on some shredded cheese and return them to my egg for another 10 minutes.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    As for rub I like DP red eye, but Swamp venom would be a winner as well!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • UNCHeels08
    Options
    Thank you both @RRP and @R2Egg2Q  . It sounds like these are pretty forgiving with different methods so I’ll just see where the egg settles in at temp wise and go from there without sweating it. Having some family over for football with moink balls as an appetizer then the maple glazed raging river salmon - a favorite around here. A good afternoon in store!
    Raleigh, NC

LBGE
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    I need to cook and then reheat the next day...are my moink balls gonna disappoint? Should I not use BBQ sauce until I reheat? Any tips?
  • Ybabpmuts
    Options
    I can ask Beulah, she has moink balls. 

This just In. She has monk balls, and judging from the brown habit coming out from under her overall shorts, the monk is still n there somewhere. When the monk comes out I'll ask him if he uses rub on them. I'm not sure if he speaks English but I hearing this muffled chanting where she walks buy ... sounds like he sayin num num num over and over. Whatever he's saying it must be funny because Beulah Is always giggling when I hear that.
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    I need to cook and then reheat the next day...are my moink balls gonna disappoint? Should I not use BBQ sauce until I reheat? Any tips?
    Anyone? 
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Anyone? 
    How do you plan to reheat?  I would say at least brush them with fresh bbq sauce when you do reheat.