Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will a KJ firebox fit a LBGE?

Options
title says it all...

??
Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Which firebox - the new or the old style?

Not that I really know if either one will properly fit.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    edited January 2018
    Options
    My apologies if this was silly question but it was suggested to me and since the KJ firebox is already split, it seemed like an obvious answer to the problem of broken and shattered fireboxes, of which I am an abashed, but unwarranted, owner .

If anyone knows for certain, I'd appreciate being able to put this notion to rest.
    Instagram
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    The new bge ones are split too

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DWFII
    Options
    Nice!thanks for that. 

So if I order one from my local dealer, do I have to specify the new design? Or am I at risk of getting new old stock?
    Instagram
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The new bge ones are split too
    I think you're thinking of a different split, KJ has interlocking panels ...

canuckland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Right...the new fireboxes are multiple panels that interlock. Here's a short video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqbC27pVcKQ

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    Options
    DWFII said:
    Nice!thanks for that. 

So if I order one from my local dealer, do I have to specify the new design? Or am I at risk of getting new old stock?
    Check the dealer out and see what they have. I would take and old new one at a greatly reduced price. If they have to order make sure they order the new with the split
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    DWFII said:
    title says it all...

??
    I hope you read my PM to this post.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • DWFII
    Options
    done and done! thanks.
    Instagram
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Oh snap thats a pretty slick design 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The new BGE with the split crack just as much as the old ones without. I have gone through 4 of them (2 eggs) is the last 5 years. They just crack side to side instead of up and down. Just got 2 new ones right before Christmas.

And to the OP- I believe if you buy a new firebox from a dealer, that would be covered for life. I haven't read the fine print lately so someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    The new BGE with the split crack just as much as the old ones without. I have gone through 4 of them (2 eggs) is the last 5 years. They just crack side to side instead of up and down. Just got 2 new ones right before Christmas.

And to the OP- I believe if you buy a new firebox from a dealer, that would be covered for life. I haven't read the fine print lately so someone correct me if I'm wrong on that. 

This from the Warranty information on the BGE site and seems to echo what you remember. But a dealer might read this section differently to mean the purchase part must be used in a covered/warrantied BGE.

11. INFORMATION REQUIRED FOR CLAIM:
     A Valid Proof of Purchase is required. A purchase receipt showing date of purchase and name of Authorized Dealer from which the EGG or other BGE product was purchased must be provided with any Warranty claim. For Warranty purposes, an original purchaser is the person whose name appears on the purchase receipt, or is in possession of an original purchase receipt, and who has registered their BGE Warranty as required.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • RRP
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

This from the Warranty information on the BGE site and seems to echo what you remember. But a dealer might read this section differently to mean the purchase part must be used in a covered/warrantied BGE.

A Valid Proof of Purchase is required. A purchase receipt showing date of purchase and name of Authorized Dealer from which the EGG or other BGE product was purchased must be provided with any Warranty claim. For Warranty purposes, an original purchaser is the person whose name appears on the purchase receipt, or is in possession of an original purchase receipt, and who has registered their BGE Warranty as required.
    I'm no lawyer but I believe the operative word here is "and".
    ...or is in possession of an original purchase receipt, and who has registered their BGE Warranty as required.

In other words a purchased firebox is NOT registered so that in itself disqualifies the life time warranty.
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    You missed the OR ;)

You need your name on the original purchase receipt from an authorized dealer,  OR you need the original receipt and have registered (guessing this applies to 2nd+ purchasers)
    Near San Francisco in California
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Don't see why it wouldn't!  After all I'm cooking with their complete cooking system in my large egg and it works better than using a plate setter.  

Auburn, Alabama
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,535
    Options
    KJ's Divide n Conquer may fit, both 18" across ... but the bottom of KJ Classic FB may be too wide to fit Large BGE.
    canuckland
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I’ve asked BGE when ordering parts (not all my eggs were new) and they said they have a lifetime warranty on the parts. I have even made a claim on it without a problem. 
  • DWFII
    Options
    I’ve asked BGE when ordering parts (not all my eggs were new) and they said they have a lifetime warranty on the parts. I have even made a claim on it without a problem. 

That's what I want to hear, that's what I want to believe. Here's hoping you're correct. (I will ask my local dealer).
    Instagram
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    RRP said:
    SamIAm2 said:

I'm no lawyer but I believe the operative word here is "and".
    ...or is in possession of an original purchase receipt, and who has registered their BGE Warranty as required.

In other words a purchased firebox is NOT registered so that in itself disqualifies the life time warranty.
    Does it not read that if the “BGE Product” that was bought and accompanied by the original buyers receipt that the warranty would cover if warrantable.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options

Does it not read that if the “BGE Product” that was bought and accompanied by the original buyers receipt that the warranty would cover if warrantable.  
    LOL - I never expected YOU to agree with anything I say! BUT I know of at least 3 dealers who post here on a regular basis, but none have waded in the deep end of the pool to address this issue.

OTOH I also know of two other dealers who won't even submit a claim of any kind unless their store sold the original BGE product.

You and I can debate this interpretation until the cows come home, but until @DWFII finds out how his dealer views the language it doesn't really make jack-squat!
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Simple solution. Order it directly from BGE. That’s what I did. No hassle. 
  • DWFII
    Options

But how did you get it shipped to you? I thought I read somewhere that BGE will not ship fireboxes.
    ??
    Instagram
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    RRP said:

The BGE firebox could be registered and you would be the original owner of such BGE product. Does not state you must be original owner of the "Egg".
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    DWFII said:

But how did you get it shipped to you? I thought I read somewhere that BGE will not ship fireboxes.
    ??
    They dont ship eggs, parts is another story.  I have had several warranty parts shipped to me.
  • DWFII
    Options
    Thanks I'll look into that, as well. (I have a student just now and it is all I can do to find time to post a few things.)
    Instagram
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    What a warranty policy with a company actually is, and how a warranty claim is handled in someone's particular corner of the world can be completely different. Some dealers have no clue what the policy is, some know, but refuse to handle a warranty if you did not buy from them. I would try to figure out which dealers in your area appear to be around for many years, and find one that has lifetime warranty.
  • flexfusion
    Options
    Who keep original recipes?  I bought my egg at Roswell Hardware and I live in Auburn, AL.  Fortunately nothing has happened to the egg that I would need  file a claim e.g. fire box or other ceramics. If it did crack, do y'all think Roswell Hardware would support me?  I don't know just very curious!  I know I called BGE's HO in Georgia, and the guy I talked to in customer service about hinge bolts wasn't very customer focused. 
    Auburn, Alabama
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Who keep original recipes?  I bought my egg at Roswell Hardware and I live in Auburn, AL.  Fortunately nothing has happened to the egg that I would need  file a claim e.g. fire box or other ceramics. If it did crack, do y'all think Roswell Hardware would support me?  I don't know just very curious!  I know I called BGE's HO in Georgia, and the guy I talked to in customer service about hinge bolts wasn't very customer focused. 

Still got mine from the first egg we bought in the early 90's!!  Back then they said the same thing--you better keep the receipt if you want you're warranty to be covered!  So I did.

Now, just scan it into your computer or take a photo of it.  Email that to yourself and/or leave it in a GoogleDrive, DropBox, or OneDrive folder in the cloud.  You'll never lose it that way.

I always recommend writing the code off the dome and base on that as well.  BGE always asks for that, but it's not necessarily required......especially when you can't read it.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What a warranty policy with a company actually is, and how a warranty claim is handled in someone's particular corner of the world can be completely different. Some dealers have no clue what the policy is, some know, but refuse to handle a warranty if you did not buy from them. I would try to figure out which dealers in your area appear to be around for many years, and find one that has lifetime warranty.
    This is too bad. It's not only bad business, it's not at all in line with the BGE spirit of "community". 
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    This is too bad. It's not only bad business, it's not at all in line with the BGE spirit of "community". 
    I agree, but if Hawaii sends out erroneous "end of the world" warnings, then 3 minutes later knows it was in error and then it takes them 35 minutes to let everyone know it was a mistake, we should not be surprised that some dealers are clueless.
    In fairness, I have to say that most BGE dealers are much better with customer service than most other businesses.