Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Birthday Brisket

Options
My 10 year daughter ordered brisket for her birthday dinner. She actually said "Wagu brisket...like new years". Our local butcher is pretty good but unfortunately the "American wagu" was no longer on sale. But its my girl's birthday, here is the 16 lber pre and post rub. Using meat church and southern soul dust combo. It will go on about 5am Sunday morning. 22 folks coming. Wish me luck.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    Now you have created a true brisket connoisseur right there.  If she can tell the difference at the close of the cook then you are in deep trouble for the long-haul  ;).  Looks like a great hunk of protein.  You obviously don't need any luck but I will wish you "luck" anyhow.  You must be cooking "hot" to get that across the finish-line with some FTC at a reasonable time.  
    Enjoy the cook and party celebration.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Brisket god I am not...but are you cranking the heat up on that dude? That’s a big ol hunk of meat for a 13ish hour cook. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    And in comes @lousubcap ahead of me to make the same comment. 

@thetrim if Navy would have had that speed in December you would be short a bottle of bourbon.  =)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    @Killit_and_Grillit - problem was they had that speed with the back-to-back false start penalties that pushed the attempted game-winning field goal back 10 yards.  
    Apologize for the post hi-jack  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Yeah I'll go a tad hot and fast. 275 for 6 hours. Then I'll use the ole Texas crutch for 6 or so hours and dial the heat up to 300-320 near the end. I did this by necessity a few years ago and it ended up working out great. Been doing them all the same sense. I also turbo pork butts. Aaron Franklin cooks at 275 according to his book but obviously there are many ways to skin a cat. Thanks for looking. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Dang. I was getting Dairy Queen for my 10th Bday....
  • dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    And loving itDoubleEgger said:
    Dang. I was getting Dairy Queen for my 10th Bday....
    And loving it...

XL BGE
    MD
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    @DoubleEgger, that sounds about right for my 10th too. What I failed to mention is we are triple celebrating. My daughter, my mom, and my sister in law (my daughter's god mother) all had birthdays this week. But the daughter got to choose the meal. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Your daughter has much better taste than I did. I would have been lobbying for Pizza Hut so I could play the tabletop Ms. Pacman. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I used Travis method to "boill" a 17 pounder at christmas and cooked at 275 - 300 until at 160 then wrapped and went to 350-375 and it was great and done in 12 hrs.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston