Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SV Thick Cut Pork Chops

Options
thetrim
thetrim Posts: 11,357
edited January 2018 in Off Topic
Thick cut pork chops may be the greatest thing you can do in a combined SV Egg cook.  Unfortunately, this cook didn't come out so great.

Did some SV pork chops on Sunday.  145 for 1hr, 20minutes.  Based on some time constraints, I wasn't able to finish these on the egg until this evening.  I took them out of the SV and immediately put them back in the fridge in the same SV bags on Sunday night.  Tonight, I took them out and cooked them on a 400 dome temp grill at fire ring height.  2-3 mins per side. 

They tasted fine but were a tougher texture than expected.  Every other time I did these, it was at 140 for right at an hour.  Relatively same egg execution, but 400 may have been higher than previous cooks. 

Question:  could 145 at 1:20 make that much of a difference in texture?  Could it be the time on the egg COMBINED with the SV stats make it tougher?  Or could it just be not such a great cut of meat.

Thanks for your input.
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95