Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Time for a new phone - iPhone 8Plus or X

GrateEggspectations
GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,183
edited January 2018 in EggHead Forum
You seem like a tech-savvy bunch....

I've been mulling over both options to replace my now-obsolete 5S. 

Specs are similar, but the X has a much smaller footprint than the 8Plus (despite similar screen size) and is $300 CAD more. I've also heard it's much more fragile (and I've got youngins!).

The 8Plus is obviously the outgoing design. 

What say you?

Comments

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    If money isn’t an issue get the X just put a nice protector of sorts on it. 
  • g8golfer said:
    If money isn’t an issue get the X just put a nice protector of sorts on it. 
    I figured I could offset the price of the X by foregoing Apple Care.
  • Went 8 for personal and 8+ for work phones here. Didn’t see the screen worth the extra coin. It has the exact same processing power. But I don’t fault anyone for wanting the nicer screen. I decided to wait until the second revision of this new form factor. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I’ve got the X- for me it was about how it fit in my pocket

Greensboro, NC
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I got the 8 plus with the extra memory. It's Space Gray with a clear Speck case. The camera on back is the same as the X. The X has a better front facing camera and can do animojis. I don't need to animate talking poop. The 8 plus is similar in operational method to my old 6. You can see the pictures that it takes in my Sheekin thread.
  • Wolfpack said:
    I’ve got the X- for me it was about how it fit in my pocket

My concern as well. 
  • Went 8 for personal and 8+ for work phones here. Didn’t see the screen worth the extra coin. It has the exact same processing power. But I don’t fault anyone for wanting the nicer screen. I decided to wait until the second revision of this new form factor. 
    For me, the Plus over the regular 8 is largely a function of the better battery life and camera. 

I agree - the advantages of the X over the 8Plus are minimal. 
  • I’ve got a 7plus, I’m gonna wait and see what next year brings.
  • I’ve got a 7plus, I’m gonna wait and see what next year brings.
    I hear you. The incremental improvements have not overwhelmed me to date. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited January 2018
    Not sure the X is worth a grand but that sometimes depends on your carrier.  Sprint is offering $41.67*18mths ($750) Verizon is 47.91*24 ($1149)  but YMMV. 

I use a Samsung
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    My company is ready to upgrade. The majority of phones are iPhone 6.
    The ios 11 update has been pretty brutal on the older phones. The 11 update has slowed the performance and made the phones buggy.
    If I had to guess we will get the 8 and certainly not the X due to cost.

Even though the phones are company issued, the cost of an iPhone has reached a point that I no longer think they a worth the cost. I wonder if years from now we will look back at iPhone cost and realize how crazy it was, much like remembering spending $4000 at Comp USA for a PC.

Short of Apple intentionally slowing down the older iPhone's to encourage upgrades, when will iPhone's reach a point where they are fast enough year after year to no longer require yearly upgrades? I think the mobile phone market will eventually stagnate, much like the PC market has. The PC market has reached a point that the average low end PC is fast enough for most peoples needs. This is reflected in the slow PC sales and the unwillingness of user's to upgrade. Some of this stagnation can be attributed on the rise on mobile devices I'm sure, but a lot is the older PC's are fast enough for the task and don't need replacements.

As far as the original question, I would go with an 8 or 8+ and allow the X platform to mature and work out some of the issues. It's maybe worthwhile to keep in mind that many of the X features will migrate down to the lower end phones over the next year or so, and when they do, they will be more mature.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I just upgraded from a 6 to an X.  I went in thinking 8 (wife has the 8+), but I wanted the better camera and bigger screen within the 8+ size.  X also has image stabilization on both lenses, the 8+ only on the close in lens.

If you are trading up from a 5s, then you hold your phones for 3-4 years.  To me, that argues for getting the newest one.  I just bought a pelican case for mine - had on the whole way on my 6 and dropped that phone at least twice a week and never a scratch or damage.
  • GregW
    @Legume you make a good point about length of time between upgrades. Getting the X now would give you the new platform going forward, rather than being stuck with the older platform for the next 3 years or so.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I have a 6s through work. Its alright. Hoping for the 8 plus on next upgrade, but rumors are we will get the google pixel as a lot of our stuff is managed through google. Docs, calendar, drive, etc

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Get the thinnest, lightest, best form factor phone, then do this:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GregW
    I have a 6s through work. Its alright. Hoping for the 8 plus on next upgrade, but rumors are we will get the google pixel as a lot of our stuff is managed through google. Docs, calendar, drive, etc
    If you do go with the Google Pixel, it has the advantage of being a pure Android device. That means it will receive timely OS updates and not become a 1 year old or less orphan like a lot of Android phones become.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    GregW said:
    If you do go with the Google Pixel, it has the advantage of being a pure Android device. That means it will receive timely OS updates and not become a 1 year old or less orphan like a lot of Android phones become.
    Like my wifes s7 with amazing two hour battery life! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• GregW
    @milesvdustin that's a really bad battery life. I wonder if that's typical for all the Samsung S7's?
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647

years ago, I had a phone/text-only phone that got knocked out of my hand and it fell 2 floors onto a steel fire escape.  Put the battery back in it and it still worked. You don't see that much anymore.  I don't recall the manufacturer, but it wasn't samsung or apple. 
  • onedbguru said:

years ago, I had a phone/text-only phone that got knocked out of my hand and it fell 2 floors onto a steel fire escape.  Put the battery back in it and it still worked. You don't see that much anymore.  I don't recall the manufacturer, but it wasn't samsung or apple. 
    I'm guessing it may have been a Nokia(?). Nearly bomb-proof. 

I've read from many sources that the Xs are fragile. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Are you stuck on apple? and i'm not pushing Galaxy either, but there a few really good android phones without all the bloat wear
  • @poster: Good question. I am not the most technologically-inclined and I therefore benefit from Apple's intuitive design. I am certainly no Apple fanboy; I'm just not confident that I could make do with anything else. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    onedbguru said:

I’ve seen the old Nextel brick phones go down high rise elevator shafts and still work. 
  • tml1230
    tml1230 Posts: 237
    I have a 6s through work. Its alright. Hoping for the 8 plus on next upgrade, but rumors are we will get the google pixel as a lot of our stuff is managed through google. Docs, calendar, 

Good points, other than the spelling and diction.
    Sarasota Fl. and  Lake Toxaway N.C. (and Novembers on the island of Kauai) (and April in France.... Don't hate on me for that)
    BGE  medium and minimax
    HOW  BOUT THEM GATORS !
  • @poster: Good question. I am not the most technologically-inclined and I therefore benefit from Apple's intuitive design. I am certainly no Apple fanboy; I'm just not confident that I could make do with anything else. 
    Stick with Apple, they’re stable and reliable.

I’ve had an Android and IPhone simultaneously for 7-8 years and the Iphones have always been more reliable. I keep the iPhones for 2-3 years then sell them for $200-300, the Androids are kaput after a year or two. 

I have a Galaxy S8 now and it’s fantastic but still new. Have an iPhone X arriving tomorrow, will be curious how they stack up. Just sold the 6S for $200, my old Galaxy is in great condition but no longer functional.

I also prefer the Apple ecosystem.
    Highland, MI

L BGE, Primo, and a KJ Jr
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    "Apple is throttling processor speeds when a battery capacity deteriorates over time."

This right here would keep me away from an Iphone. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    WeberWho said:
    "Apple is throttling processor speeds when a battery capacity deteriorates over time."

From what I have seen they have seen the error of their ways. At least I can safely carry one in my front pants pocket.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Love my X. Screeen is actually bigger (per specs) but the phone is smaller and fits in my pocket much better. I’m glad I got it. 
    McKinney, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    WeberWho said:

From what I have seen they have seen the error of their ways. At least I can safely carry one in my front pants pocket.
    Kind of like the Volkswagen error? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota