Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

16th birthday burnt ends

Options
SaltySam
SaltySam Posts: 887
The kid can legally drive now.   He asked for burnt ends, knowing full well it’s about a 15 hour process.  I figured that with his newfound independence, it might be a good investment to keep him coming home occasionally.  So, I picked up a prime packer brisket at Costco the other day.  10.5lb, at $2.89/lb!  Crazy deal. Trimmed the fat (there was a bunch) and tried to square up the flat as best I could.  It was much thicker at one end. It was closer to 8.5-9.0lbs after trimming. 

I let the whole thing go at 250-275 for about 12 hours.  It got to 165 really fast, and stayed there for a loooooooong time.  Once it hit 205, I split the point and let the flat rest on the counter for about 20 minutes.  

I put more rub on the point and put it back out on the Egg for three hours.  Then took it out, cubed it up and tossed it in some Bone Suckin. Another 45 minutes at 225, and they were done.  Turned out great!

Now that he’s 16, I plan on bumming rides from him as often as possible.  Specifically, across town...with my friends.  He’s gonna earn this birthday “cake”.  Haha!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments