Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extender racks?

Options
I watched a number of short videos on the KJ  site this morning regarding their 'divide and conquer system...

I assume that since it is proprietary that KJ rack isn't gonna fit in the BGE. But since it's such a good idea, some third party must be making something similar. I noticed in the videos that the KJ didn't have a fire ring (or wasn't using it)--the rack/grill rig sat directly on the firebox. I am not looking for the "divide and conquer" system specifically--what I'm interested in is a rack that will give me an easy ability me to raise and lower grills and to use different grills or stones at different heights. 

On some sites I've seen racks roughly similar to what is shown in the videos at kamadojoe.com--"spiders" and "woos," they are called, if memory serves. What's the difference--what is a "spider" and what is a "woo?" 

Are there any other "rigs" like that made for the BGE?

Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
Instagram

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Give the search function a try and search for Pswoo or spider or adjustable rig. If you don’t see the search function on the forum, just google egghead forum + whatever you want to search for
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    Here is a link to an after-market site that has all the toys you may need.  
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com  The site can be a bit of a challenge to sort out so give them a call and you will get straight answers to what would be the best hardware for you.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    What @bikesAndBBQ said.  There is a lot of good info already here you'll find.

I have the Adjustable Rack (AR) from Ceramic Grill store and have been happy with it, but if the Divide and Conquer was available when I was shopping, I would have given that a serious look as well.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    If you do want a divide and conquer type arrangement, find a pottery equipment supplier and look at kiln shelves for firing pots.  These come in half rounds, ideal for creating a half indirect / half direct setup. Cheap too.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I went with the Woo/Adjustable Rig combo for my XL, gives me 3 levels,  and the ability to put a rack rights down on the coals for a high hear sear. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    DWFII said:
    I watched a number of short videos on the KJ  site this morning regarding their 'divide and conquer system...

I assume that since it is proprietary that KJ rack isn't gonna fit in the BGE. But since it's such a good idea, some third party must be making something similar. I noticed in the videos that the KJ didn't have a fire ring (or wasn't using it)--the rack/grill rig sat directly on the firebox. I am not looking for the "divide and conquer" system specifically--what I'm interested in is a rack that will give me an easy ability me to raise and lower grills and to use different grills or stones at different heights. 

On some sites I've seen racks roughly similar to what is shown in the videos at kamadojoe.com--"spiders" and "woos," they are called, if memory serves. What's the difference--what is a "spider" and what is a "woo?" 

Are there any other "rigs" like that made for the BGE?

I use one made for the keg and love it. 
    https://www.broilkingbbq.com/EU/Australia/accessories/keg/premium-cooking-grate-set.html

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Cgs adjustable rack is your best bet.

Or if you something cheap and simple look at the grate raiser and swing grate that smokeware.com has. 

Both great products.
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Cgs adjustable rack is your best bet.

Or if you something cheap and simple look at the grate raiser and swing grate that smokeware.com has. 

Both great products.
    Haven’t seen the smokeware one before, compared to the one I got I like having the cast iron base for regular cooks and only adding in the second grid level when needed but to each their own 
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    I like the Smokeware version. 
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • dshaffes
    Options
    I already have a cast iron for my primary grate.  Recently ought the Smokeware grate lifter and 2nd smaller grate.  I've used it 3 times so far and I love it ...works really way and easy to manage. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Personally... I prefer my c/a (that's cheap ass) solution to using two fire bricks set on their edge and a cheap  auxillary laid on top. Those fire bricks run like $10 for a box of 6! After 17 years I have given away the other 4 bricks plus another box of six two at a time! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.