Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Appetizer Questions

Options
This past fall my wife and I went to Chicago for the weekend and one of the restaurants we went to had seared pork belly as an appetizer.  It was SO good.  I still think about it.  

I was at Costco yesterday and picked up a pork belly and was going to try it for a NYE appetizer.  I've never attempted cooking a pork belly.

My plan is to cook the pork belly on Saturday and then put it in the fridge.  Then cut it up in 2" cubes on NYE, pan sear it and then serve it with finely diced green apples as a garnish.  My questions...

- Any recommendations on what to use as a rub?  
- Should I score the fat top prior to putting the rub on?
- From searching this forum, it seems I should probably cook to 170* IT.  Thoughts?
- I was going get the BGE to 250* and toss on some apple chunks for smoke.

I could also sous vide this, but haven't thought that all the way through yet.

What do you think?
Large BGE

Neenah, WI

Comments

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2017
    Options
    depends on the flavor profile you are going for.  Asian, Southwest, Southeast, KC, TX... 

I wouldn't sous vide due to the fat content. 

Do a search for pork belly burnt ends for the various flavor profiles.  The last time I had them it we used brown sugar, salt, pepper. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Pork belly burnt ends are delicious. Probably not what you were thinking, but I am throwing them out there as an option and should be considered either now or at a later date.

http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I second @Sea2Ski's suggestion.  However, when I do that recipe I cut the cubes around 1/4" smaller.  Regardless, definitely a crowd pleaser.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    @lousubcap I have had a hard time getting the first phase correct. Seems like I either let them go to long so they dried out a bit too much (1x), OR I do not leave them on long enough and not enough fat renders (2x) from them.

Have you had either issue? Any tips? I know the potential is there, because for a portion of them they are spot on. I am looking to up the percentage which are perfect.

Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    I have had both occurrences with parts of the cook.  After the first attempt I down-sized the cubes a bit hoping for better rendering as that seemed to be the predominant issue although some do end up drier than I would like.  I have also done them on the stick-burner and BGE  with no discernible difference in the taste-not surprising given the finishing steps.  So, no keys to 100% success.
    However, they always disappear once served.  I'm next gonna play around with the rack set-up I have been using just because I can.  Good luck.  Wish I had the solution.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HTTRQ
    HTTRQ Posts: 19
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I'll third pork belly burnt ends.  I made them as an appetizer for Thanksgiving and people.are.still.talkimg about them.  I ate so many of them I didn't have much room left for turkey. 

Your favorite pork rub is perfectly fine. 
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options

I've done pork belly this way with good results.  I buy the Costco bellies also. If you do it this way be careful of the salt on the slices before grilling.  First time out I got it a little heavy.  It doesn't take much.  I serve it with Zatarain's creole mustard. 

https://barbecuebible.com/recipe/barbecued-pork-belly/ 

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    The experts have suggested Malcom Reeds pork belly burnt ends....I concur.  Will have a batch on the BGE tomorrow.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Just make sure you put 'me on a skewer!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Just make sure you put 'me on a skewer!
    Who needs a skewer?
    New Albany, Ohio