Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any high temperature probes?

Options

Every temperature probe I've seen that attach to WIFI temp monitors seem to have a temperature limit of 750 deg F. I tried to do a 1000 deg sear on a prime rib yesterday and burned out both probes that I had.  Is anyone aware of a probe that can withstand 1000+ deg?

Tom

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Agree with @CoMoBGE, I just cant think of a reason to have a probe in the protien for a sear. No matter if you sear before or after the roasting part of the cook, no reason.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Not wanting to "pile on" but if you are doing a high temp sear then you can use a quick response thermo to let you know what is happening. I sear for a visual end-point.   Things happen fast at 1K* so you must be right there when this is going on...  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    You need a thermometer that uses Type K probes.

You can get Type K probes that are easily good for a couple thousand degrees F.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    welcome.  @HeavyG nailed it.  I use these K probes - good up to 2200.

As far as why... I don't want to ruin my other probes when I'm getting a pizza temp etc.

http://www.thermoworks.com/WD-08467
    Phoenix 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The K-probes may be rated for that, but that doesn't mean the wires and the repeated use will hold up in the long run.  Reason being, that probe isn't just getting hit with the ambient heat, it's getting hit with a direct flame, thus infrared heat.  Your dome temp might be sitting at 750F, but down at grate level in the belly of the beast, it's a hell of a lot hotter.  I've used these before--they fail just any other probe--sporadically and without warning.  Then in the case of a type-K, you're looking at $50+ a probe vs. $20.

There's no reason to be monitoring anything over 500F, it's damn hot and a searing temp.  You're going to be there for a few minutes max.  If you're doing a spatchcock or roasting, you have the plate setter in and you can keep the wires and probes out of the line of a direct flame.

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

There's no reason to be monitoring anything over 500F

I respectfully disagree with this.  When pizza making, 500 vs 700 vs 900 is a big deal, and determined by the dough you've made.  Granted, for pizza I typically use an infra red on the steel.

My fav bread recipe calls for 450 degrees.  I don't want to risk my other probes, and reserve them for 250-350 degree cooks.  That's why I purchase the high heat ones for baking.
    Phoenix 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2017
    Options

NM
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Tel-Tru makes a gauge that goes up to 1000º that fits the dome of the egg.  Not Wi-Fi but does a good job for high temp pizza cooks.

See gauge on the right:

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

There's no reason to be monitoring anything over 500F

I respectfully disagree with this.  When pizza making, 500 vs 700 vs 900 is a big deal, and determined by the dough you've made.  Granted, for pizza I typically use an infra red on the steel.

I should have clarified REMOTELY monitor temp.
  • kaybee
    kaybee Posts: 120
    Options
    Take a look at the Thermoworks Hi-Temp Industrial IR (IR-IND). Reads to 1400F. Also available with a K-Type probe which you can use for quick protein jabs when you want interior temps. Both the IR and the probe can be used at the same time. It's even on sale right now.