Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Initial use of KA Meat Grinder - how to stop oil from leaking?

Options
Last night was the first test drive of the KA Meat grinder, and while it did the job, I had to keep picking out gray gunk (oil or lubricant?) out of the meat.   I know it's a "food safe lubricant" they put in it, but obviously it's not desirable.

I did some searches and couldn't find anything recently to see if there's a way to clean or prime the meat grinder to stop this from happening.  Some people said to run bread through it a few times, others said you can't do anything about it and to just upgrade to a better grinder. 

Do I just let it run for 30 minutes dry and see if all the oil comes out?  I still have 15 pounds of meat that has to be grinded up today for some people coming over, so I have to stick with this model for at least one more day. 

Any suggestions? 
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    Food safe just means it isn't going to kill you immediately. I'd still want nothing to do with it. Are you sure that it isn't just on the metal surfaces of the grinder? If it was me I'd run to Walmart and get another one. 
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

If you’re talking about the attachment I’ve had that for many years & have grinded unknown 100’s of pounds of meat through it without incident.  Whatever oil came on it out of the factory has to be gone or nearly gone by now so don’t sweat it, I’m sure you regularly eat far worse that you can’t see.  If you’re really that concerned about it disassemble it & soak it all in hot soapy water then rinse with hot water, that’ll get rid of the residual

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited December 2017
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,351
    Options
    I'm puzzled why there would even be any lube in the meat grinder to begin with. The manual makes no mention of using any kind of lube in any of the parts of the grinder.

Did you give it a good washing before first use?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    It's coming out of the cylinder that goes into square peg.  See below:

I'll disassemble and wash it again.  The oil stuff  comes out like very thin snake skin since it's wound around the cylinder.    I'll buy another and see if it was just a one-off.
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    Is that the front of the auger? Looks like that's where the knife and plate go. There shouldn't be any grease there. Is it possible it's just sinew and fat?
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Eggscuses said:
    Is that the front of the auger? Looks like that's where the knife and plate go. There shouldn't be any grease there. Is it possible it's just sinew and fat?
    That's the front.  After seeing the oil with the meat, I cleaned it and ran bread through it to see if that would remove the rest.   Junk still came out 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Eggscuses
    Options
    GoooDawgs said: 
    Eggscuses said:
    That's the front.  After seeing the oil with the meat, I cleaned it and ran bread through it to see if that would remove the rest.   Junk still came out 
    Does it do it if you don't put anything in there to grind?