Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking For Suggestions On 3 to 5 Quart Pan

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,029
My mom wants a new soup pan for Christmas. She said, "Something that will retain heat for awhile". I'm thinking maybe a 3qt?

Any suggestions on type or brand? Not looking for anything super expensive but something a little nicer than her very basic soup pan she's has now. I'm thinking maybe a 3qt to 5qt. Anyone have a favorite or suggestion? 

Thanks!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    5qt cast iron Dutch oven
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Agree with the above - I would get an enamel coated cast iron Dutch Oven
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    5qt cast iron Dutch oven
    Great pan on or off the egg.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was thinking the same thing. A dutch oven is on my want list.

I'm thinking she might want something a little bit different. A pan with a handle that stays neutral in temperature to move around on the stove. I'm not sure I'd be able to find an enamel coated cast iron dutch oven with a handle. I'll take a look. I appreciate the tips and help!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    Options
    It looks like I can find a 3qt saucepan in enamel cast iron with a handle. That should work out good. Thanks guys for the lead!

Minnesota
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    It looks like I can find a 3qt saucepan in enamel cast iron with a handle. That should work out good. Thanks guys for the lead!
    Just remember, they are heavy. I would get a nice stainless or even a commercial aluminum. I have a copper clad Legion that I picked up used that is great for soup. My mom would never like the weight of cast iron anything.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • WeberWho
    Options
    That's a good point about the weight Photo
    Egg. Thanks. I might even need to go down to 1 or 2qt. I didn't realize how big a 3qt was until I watched a YouTube review. I should probably make run to Bed Bath and Beyond to get a grasp on weight and size of each pan. 

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Egg. Thanks. I might even need to go down to 1 or 2qt. I didn't realize how big a 3qt was until I watched a YouTube review. I should probably make run to Bed Bath and Beyond to get a grasp on weight and size of each pan. 
    You both need to get back to the gym.  Or be unworthy of copper and CI.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    WeberWho said:
    You both need to get back to the gym.  Or be unworthy of copper and CI.
    You got that right about the gym! I'd love a 6-8qt dutch oven. Definitely on my want list. My mom is looking for something to warm up a can of soup and keep hot. 3qt looks to be way overkill for what she might actually need

Minnesota
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    V, Darian brought up a good point about weight when full.

I have a 3.5 qt Viking saucier that is one of my favorite pans.  From searing to frying to braises and sauces to risotto, it's a versatile pan, like a wok.  It could go in the oven.

For bigger, which I would do for soup, 5 qt range, I would look at an All Clad stock pot.  I have a nonstick one my mom got me as a gift, great rice cooker too.

For bigger yet, this looks solid.  Nice handles.
    https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MCP66-24N-MultiClad-Stainless-Stockpot/dp/B009W4ZHU8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1513514190&sr=8-6&keywords=stock+pot+all+clad

From 2 qt to 60, one can never have enough pot stashed around the house.  ;)

Edit, sorry just read your last reply V.  Making soup to simpky heating up a can, different thangs.  2-3 qt saucier or sauce pan fo sho fo sho!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have a Cuisinart 2 quart "pour saucepan' with draining lid. Induction ready. Sounds perfect for your application. I use it for pare boiling veggies. Heating up soups or Ramen noodles. Boiling eggs. Will do a pound of pasta but it is not really the best vessel for that quantity. For a half pound it is perfect. So versatile, good quality for the price point and light. Also dishwasher safe, but I hand wash.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I have this and love it. this is coincidental and not intended to be funny. This cookware is first rate. Made by Dansk I believe 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    edited December 2017
    Options
    https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-419-18P-Contour-Stainless-Saucepan/dp/B002WPHUEA

This is similar to the one I have. Nothing at all like the enamel or cast iron dutch ovens. But way easier to handle and a great multi-tasker.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I picked up one of these & it is made very well & will work great for braising. 

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen