Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Day Meal Question

Options
We are having 15 people over Christmas Day for Supper around 1630. I have a 10# prime rib and a 10.5# turkey. I have a large egg. Initially I thought I would do prime rib on the egg and turkey in the oven, but the more I think about it, I don't want oven roasted turkey. Any thoughts on how I might be able to do both on the egg, and have them both hot and juicy at 1630?

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    By a second egg.

Or do a slow roasted turkey since you want the prime rib to cook as low as possible for edge to edge medium rare. Otherwise, cook the rib in the oven really low and finish it off on the egg so the turkey can cruise at 350-375.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    If you have the ability to do two level cooking, spatch the turkey on the lower level with an air-gapped drip pan below it (drippings for gravy) and do the roast in a shallow rack inside a pan on the top level.  Remove the clip from your dome thermo and then run the thermo thru the clip ( acting as a spacer) on the outside of the dome.
    I would test fit such a set up first especially the clearance of the roast.  That's all I've got.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Options
    Thanks! I suggested second egg to the Missus, got an evil look in return. Ahhhh, marital bliss. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I would do the rib roast in the kitchen oven.  I don't see any real advantage in doing it in the egg (I don't go for added smoke on a rib roast).  OR you could do the slow cook portion of the rib roast in the oven and then use the egg for the crust sear while the turkey is resting. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• kweitz
    Options
    @Eggcelsior - Are you suggesting doing both at the same time? With the turkey spatchcocked and the PR in a v-rack and drip pan, don't know if they would all fit. 

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Where do you live? If nearby, you can borrow one of my grills.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kweitz
    Options
    @DMW - Charles Town, WV (Jefferson County)

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Would be a bit of a far drive (Morgantown, PA, between Philly and Harrisburg), but the offer stands.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    I like the turkey on the egg at 325; PR in the oven at 250 plan - then finish the PR on the egg while the turkey rests.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • kweitz
    Options
    @DMW. Thank you kindly for the offer. I think I'm gonna do as others have suggested. PR in the oven, finished on the egg. Merry Christmas!

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE