Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Question For Camper Owners

I've been looking into renting a camper for a trip to tablerock this summer. I found a website where you rent other peoples campers. rvshare.com This lead me to start researching and crunching some numbers into purchasing my own camper and posting it up on a site such as rvshare while I'm not using it and possibly paying the thing off over the course of two or three years from the income of renting it out. I figured if I can get the right one bought for about $15000.00 only 90 days of renting would have it paid for. 

Are there any of you guys out there that do this? If so, I'd like to hear your experiences and pros/cons. 

Thanks
Pratt, KS

Comments

• jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    I thought about doing this, but then read all the horror stories about what people do to rental campers. A camper has lots of systems in it that people aren’t familiar with or don’t care to learn how to use properly. Just think about how people treat a rental car. 
    If you are handy and have a lot of time, you can probably fix most of the little stuff, but it only takes one sewage disaster to offset any profit you might be making. 
    My opinion is that it would be best left to the big RV companies. I would hate to own a camper that I couldn’t use because some knuckleheads ruined it. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    edited December 2017
    The website I cited takes a commission of about 15% and in return provides insurance. There is also a damage deposit that the owner is free to set for the little things. I agree with you though that there are things and systems that need to be understood. 
    Pratt, KS
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    IRV2 is a site dedicated to all things RV. I read several threads about this when I was thinking about doing it. Check it out, but be warned- it’s as much of a time suck as this place is. ;)
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,726
    Nope, I own mine. It's the only way to travel!!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    I owned a camper rental business a few years back.  I paid for several units by renting them out.  PM me any specific questions you may have.  I have plenty of stories and info.  I think my only bit of advice as you are looking is to get something that sleeps 10.  Of all the units I had, the units that slept 4-6 did not get rented as much.  The bunkhouses were always rented out and they slept 10 (sleeps 6 in beds that don't have to be converted back to couch, table, etc).  I think you would do just fine listing your rental on craigslist.  We have been shut down for years and still get calls for rentals.  Not sure what market you are in, but if you buy a new-ish camper that sleeps 10, you should be able to get $100 or more per night.  If you offer delivery and setup, you can charge $1.50-$2.00 per loaded mile.  I was at a point where I would have to hire someone or quit my job as we kept growing.  Since the "camping season" is memorial to labor day, I kept my day job and gave up the rentals.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    I wouldn't rent out my camper, too many things for people to screw up. It's hard enough to keep on the road without someone else breaking it.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Drive it like you stole it!
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    There are some foreigners that buy a motor home for an extended holiday and then sell at end of vacation for about what they paid for it since its only a month older.
  • kl8ton
    Eoin said:
    I wouldn't rent out my camper, too many things for people to screw up. It's hard enough to keep on the road without someone else breaking it.
    I have tire blowout, broken ac in 100 degree heat,  flooding, bees, sewage spewing on road (not by me), lockout stories and more!

It helps to be handy.  
    Don't get too attached or particular about the camper
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    My experience with RVSHARE.COM was LESS than stellar and, no, I will not even try them again.  Bunch of flaky folks on that site, at least in our area!

@kl8ton's advice of using Craigslist is STELLAR!  Better direct contact and no issues for us to find a holiday rental to increase our visitor space at the farm!!

Best of luck!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    There is NO way, and I mean NO way, I would rent out a camper, let alone rent out a house.

Peeps generally don't take care of anything anymore, because they don't own it.  Saw many landlord horror stories working in the lumberyard through nursing school....adults in tears sobbing stories.

People rent them out to party, and they party hard.  DNA, urine, emesis, stool, it's all fair game.

My buddy had a few too many jelloshots on Halloween, puked in the camper, passed out.  Got it on the tent part of the hybrid.  Smell never came out.  "Ralph" traded it in shortly after.

Uncle Ray puked all over his after rolling up to a campfire with a bottle of Fireball, thinking he was hard. Puked all over the living room of that camper.  They traded it in shortly after. 

Buddy Scott when he would get really hammered, he would get up in the night and urinate in the hallway.  Yep, traded her in too.

Another buddy Jason, puked under a sofa cushion, put the cushion back, and slept on it.  He sold that in a private deal.

And these clowns owned their rigs at the time.  Couldn't imagine how they would treat a rental.  

I work with blood, and bodily fluids, and I wouldn't even consider this move.

I used chucks to keep my bedding dry when my boy was going through bed wetting.  Kids are another added bodily fluid bolus. 

Forget to roll up the awning or angle it for high winds or a storm.  Big time $$$

Fridge goes.  $$$

AC goes. $$$

Any exterior damage.  $$$

Water damage. $$$$

$$$, Headache, $$$, $$$, Headache, more $$$.

Flooring, cabinets, wiring is straightforward.
    But most camper parts are specific, and ordered direct from the dealer/manufacturer, $$$$$$.  No way around that.

I just see a major PITA pursuing this venture. 
    Or maybe I run with the best of the best.
    Likely the latter. LOL

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Tspud1 said:
    There are some foreigners that buy a motor home for an extended holiday and then sell at end of vacation for about what they paid for it since its only a month older.
    I camped next to some nice Germans with a rental at a KOA.  He was under the RV, using Al foil to secure the exhaust.....resourceful.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• I own a camper that I bought new to use for work, so I stay in it during the week . I have a room mate that pays half the lot rent. Mine has a window a/c unit that leaked into the cabinets, press wood, but the dealer told me that I can’t used a mobile repair unit for warranty work, so I have to bring it back to them and leave it until they repair it. Can’t do that as I would have no where to stay while at work unless I paid for a hotel.
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    I have owned a couple of lower end RV's ($18K-$22K), they are not very durable.  I would be very surprised if it lasted long enough to actually be paid off (being rented).  With private owner use and great maintenance they are barely capable.  
  • If you are doing it as a business, that’s one thing. I’ve been camping many years. I’ve seen the damage people do to their own equipment.  Not a great idea in my opinion 
  • kl8ton
    Focker said:
    There is NO way, and I mean NO way, I would rent out a camper, let alone rent out a house.

Peeps generally don't take care of anything anymore, because they don't own it.  Saw many landlord horror stories working in the lumberyard through nursing school....adults in tears sobbing stories.

People rent them out to party, and they party hard.  DNA, urine, emesis, stool, it's all fair game.

My buddy had a few too many jelloshots on Halloween, puked in the camper, passed out.  Got it on the tent part of the hybrid.  Smell never came out.  "Ralph" traded it in shortly after.

Uncle Ray puked all over his after rolling up to a campfire with a bottle of Fireball, thinking he was hard. Puked all over the living room of that camper.  They traded it in shortly after. 

Buddy Scott when he would get really hammered, he would get up in the night and urinate in the hallway.  Yep, traded her in too.

Another buddy Jason, puked under a sofa cushion, put the cushion back, and slept on it.  He sold that in a private deal.

And these clowns owned their rigs at the time.  Couldn't imagine how they would treat a rental.  

I work with blood, and bodily fluids, and I wouldn't even consider this move.

I used chucks to keep my bedding dry when my boy was going through bed wetting.  Kids are another added bodily fluid bolus. 

Forget to roll up the awning or angle it for high winds or a storm.  Big time $$$

Fridge goes.  $$$

AC goes. $$$

Any exterior damage.  $$$

Water damage. $$$$

$$$, Headache, $$$, $$$, Headache, more $$$.

Flooring, cabinets, wiring is straightforward.
    But most camper parts are specific, and ordered direct from the dealer/manufacturer, $$$$$$.  No way around that.

I just see a major PITA pursuing this venture. 
    Or maybe I run with the best of the best.
    Likely the latter. LOL

I am in west Michigan.  Most are dutch and would not do anything to risk deposit.  I was usually only renting to families.  

I was shocked once.  Rented to a 21 year old for birthday bash.  . . A 2 day country concert party. Cleanest return ever.   
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    After owning a camper fer several years now...I WOULD NEVER BUY ONE TO RENT ONE OUT!  Those who don't know much about campers can screw up alot, and there are certain things that may not show up screwed up upon return.  If you don't have a friend that will let you borrow one, going to a camper rental just for your needs is fine. 
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    MattBTI said:
    I've been looking into renting a camper for a trip to tablerock this summer. I found a website where you rent other peoples campers. rvshare.com This lead me to start researching and crunching some numbers into purchasing my own camper and posting it up on a site such as rvshare while I'm not using it and possibly paying the thing off over the course of two or three years from the income of renting it out. I figured if I can get the right one bought for about $15000.00 only 90 days of renting would have it paid for. 

Are there any of you guys out there that do this? If so, I'd like to hear your experiences and pros/cons. 

Thanks
    Are you crazy??
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    piney said:
    MattBTI said:

Thanks
    Are you crazy??
    LOL, no just always looking for little ways to turn a buck. From your responses, I think I will just stick to borrowing/renting a camper when I feel the need. 
    Pratt, KS
  • kl8ton
    We made enough money to pay off campers quickly.  I plan on doing it again when some of the kids can drive and deliver/setup.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,168
    MattBTI said:
    piney said:
    MattBTI said:

Thanks
    Are you crazy??
    LOL, no just always looking for little ways to turn a buck. From your responses, I think I will just stick to borrowing/renting a camper when I feel the need. 
    There are a lot easier ways to make a dollar...
  • No chance I'm doing that.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I wouldn't rent out a pair of socks again. Let alone my camper. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    My biggest concern would be a renter driving or towing the rv. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    MattBTI said:
    piney said:
    MattBTI said:

Thanks
    Are you crazy??
    Renting when you need it is way more economical than owning a camper.  The downside is that it's never quite set up how you want, plus you have to plan dates well ahead.