Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Griddle Options (Egg vs Blackstone)

Good Morning to all,
I've contemplated the merits of owning a griddle. 

I can get a 36" Blackstone for $185, 28" for $150...or I've looked at the Lodge rectangular griddle for my Egg, or possibly a half moon CI or Soapstone from Kamado Joe. 

Thoughts on best options? I'm candidly not sure what I'd even use it for, though I'm confident I'd find a use. 

I have an XL and feed a family of 4. 

Thanks!
Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker

Comments

• I would go for the 36" Blackstone.  I have a 28" Blackstone and enjoy using it.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    If you don't know what you would use it for, you don't really need it. A separate griddle has a couple of advantages over using an egg.  Temperature control is more precise and you can have different temperatures on different parts of the griddle. Most eggs have limited cooking area and a large griddle gives you room.  Temperature control on an egg is based on controlling air flow which requires a closed top while most griddle cooks need access to the griddle during cooking.  Biggest downsides to adding a separate griddle is having space for it and initial cost.  If you do add a Blackstone, go for the biggest you have space and budget for.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,221
    Blackstone. You can regulate different heat zones with the griddle. You will also appreciate the extra space the Blackstone will provide. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • @jtcBoynton You're right about prob not needing it. But, then again, there's a lot I prob don't need. Thanks for the input, and the ability to control temps seems like the biggest advantage of a pure griddle vs griddle on the Egg. I'll sleep on it--thx again! 
    Located Middle GA

Current: XL w/ Woo & 17" Half Moon Plates, SMOBOT

RIP: Weber 22" Kettle, Slow 'n Sear, Akorn Jr., Pit Barrel Cooker
  • 36 Blackstone... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    36 Blackstone all the way. 
    O-Town, FL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,236
    the bs griddle does some cooks fast, say burgers for 4 in a couple minutes.  it can be really convenient at times.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Wife thought I was nuts when I brought home 36” Blackstone.  After one week she said it was the best appliance we owned.  She shows it to her friends and brags on how easy it is to use!
  • Same here, the wife was not on board when I bought a 22 inch blackstone and now we use it all the time.  She also loves that I don't cook bacon in the house anymore. 

Medium BGE, Large KJ, 22 Backstone, vintage U.S. made Treager, 

Sioux Falls SD