Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Kouign Amann and a new-hire that meant well

Botch
Botch Posts: 16,010
edited December 2017 in Off Topic
I enjoyed reading @WeberWho 's story about his friend getting fired over a chicken bagel, decided to tell my story from just yesterday (Wednesday). 
"Tom" was just hired, older Industrial Engineer who's streamlined manufacturing processes for companies all over the world; he's smart and will be a great asset for us.  Yesterday I get an email from him, he brought in a box of "Kouign Amann" from a little bakery in Salt Lake City called Les Madeleines.  A KA is a little-known pastry from Brittany, France that is very flaky and tastes of salted caramel.  I downloaded the recipe and, for one dozen pastries, you'll need 1.5 cups sugar and 14 oz of butter, among other things!  Basically you have a rectangle of dough covered with a rectangle of cold butter, folk it envelope-style, roll it out to the original size, chill, then sprinkle with sugar and fleur de sel, fold again, roll out again, and do this for what looks like all day long.  Squares are then cut, stuffed into muffin tins, and the 4 corners folded into the center.  Tom raved about these and I was anxious to try one.  
It was... okay, very tough than what I was expecting.  I heated mine up in the microwave and that helped.  While we were chatting one guy asked if he lived in SLC, and he said No, he picked them up after an errand last Friday!!  I bit my lip and didn't dare look at anyone else; 5-day old pastries, yeah that'll toughen them up a bit!  He meant well, of course!  

I want to try this cafe sometime, their breakfast/lunch menu includes things like rattlesnake and boar sausages, and European cheeses, yum!  

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,209
    Oh no! The intention was good. The execution may have been better suited 5-6 days earlier! ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota