Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where do you put your pit temp probe

Options
I have a new FB 300 and with the clip on the thermocouple I clipped to the grate as close to center as I could get with the meat on. It was consistently lower than my Maverick probe in the grate mount placed close to it.  
both meat probes read identical. Someone said I should clip the pit probe to the meat probe near the outer end.   I am looking for recommendations.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    If it's too close to the meat, that'll cause a lower than actual reading. So I understand anyway. I clip mine to the dome thermo probe. That's the temp most recipes give and that's where BGE puts their thermo. No idea what grid temp is.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• OhioEgger
    Options
    I clip mine to the dome thermo probe. 
    Same here. They always read extremely close to each other (assuming both are calibrated).
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I would pick a location about an inch from the meat and still protected by the convector plate. Pick a spot and live with it. Don’t go crazy reading 10 different spots and the dome. Pick a spot on the grate or the dome and stay with it. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    As above, just go with one calibrated thermo and learn how your BGE responds.  You can get well into temperature information overload other-wise.
    Now if you want to have even more fun-run the multiple readings drill with your clock box and see the temperature variances.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • etherdome
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Same here. They always read extremely close to each other (assuming both are calibrated).
    When I do this I have to make sure one of the legs of my traditional green egg plate setter is oriented toward the dome  thermometer. Otherwise you are actually getting somewhat of a direct reading with the dome probe sitting right over the gap between the platesetter and the fire ring. I’ve tested it both ways. Dome thermo and anything attached to it read higher unless this is done..... at least in my experience . 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    edited December 2017
    Options
    With my Flame Boss, I put the temp probe centered and a bit towards the back end of the grate. The heat drafts more from the back. Be sure to keep a few inches from the meat to the probe. Do not clip the temp probe to the meat probe. It will skew the readings. 

Make sure the probe wires are shielded from the direct heat by the plate setter - direct heat will fry the wires. As with what @lousubcap said, go with one temp reading or the other. You're using the FB300 to control the cook, so trust it and roll with it. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • chuckytheegghead
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    I’m in the same camp here. 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    My preference:

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    Why do I feel if I'd asked that same question, someone would have told me where they could stick it...?
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    vb4677 said:
    Why do I feel if I'd asked that same question, someone would have told me where they could stick it...?
    Because you're a Chiefs fan??  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I wasn't just thinking its probably good Scottie didn't show up to answer this.