Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prepping Pizza ahead of time for party

Options
Sorry for repost last one went in Poultry topic:

My twins 1st birthday is this Saturday and I am contemplating making the pizzas instead of ordering.  I'd be making three thin crust style pies.  My question is since life in general is crazy with twins can I make the pizzas ahead of time on parchment paper so I just throw them on when guests arrive?  If so how far in advance can I do this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Depends on how far in advance you plan to make them. The dough will continue to rise while they are being stored. Definitely make the dough ahead of time, but wait and dress them fresh. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you could partially precook the dough, this link shows how to dock it and prebake it. might make things easier

http://www.butteryum.org/blog/2010/05/10-secrets-for-making-pizzeria-quality.html

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Pizzas cook pretty fast. Almost faster than you can eat them. I'd make all the dough, prep all the cheese and other ingredients, and set up an assembly line. Get the egg fired up to around 600 with your stone all set. You can probably make those three pizzas in under 20 minutes.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I don't think you're going to like the results if you shape the dough and top the pizzas ahead of time. You don't want to let a pie sit there like that for much longer than it takes to get it on the egg.

I would do as dmourati suggested. Don't forget to take the dough balls out of the fridge at least 2 hours before you plan to shape them. They need to warm to room temp or they'll act like rubber bands when you try to stretch or roll them out. Keep them covered at all times or they will skin over.

Push out one dough ball, top it and throw it on the egg. While it's baking, make the next one. Yes, you'll be busy, but your pizza will be better.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2017
    Options
    One year old twins at home......your life is insane!!!!!

(I have 11yr old twin girls)  Best thing that ever happened to me!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • rekameohs
    Options
    can I make the pizzas ahead of time on parchment paper so I just throw them on when guests arrive?  If so how far in advance can I do this?

Papa Murphy's web site says you should cook their pizzas within 24 hours.  I done ones from them a few hours after bringing them home and they were fine.
    Raleigh, NC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Depends on how far in advance you plan to make them. The dough will continue to rise while they are being stored. Definitely make the dough ahead of time, but wait and dress them fresh. 
    This. You aren’t saving that much time prepping a few pies in advance. It’ll provide for some adult conversation as well. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Especially with thin crust, you can make the dough, stretch it out and par cook it or freeze it.  You don't lose significant quality in the final product.

It's easy to be a purist and say just do the process right, but the OP is trying to streamline the event.
    Options
    You can streamline and still be a purist.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2017
    Options
    With the extended bake times for the BGE, I always prep the next pie, while the one before it cooks.  Works great at eggfests, and for dillas too.  

The dough will absorb the sauce if it sits on there long enough, thin crust would even lessen the time for that to happen.  Prebaking extends an already long bake time, to then cook the toppings.  Both, not my bag.

Open dough, top, launch, spin, pull, repeat.  Yeah you will be busy, but it's not that bad.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."