Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanting to learn how to Cold Smoke

Options
2»

Comments

• nutshellml
    Options
    Don't know how long a minimax will go in low and slow mode, but I have cold smoked with a number of different techniques, including a rig I built with refrigeration so I could smoke fish/cheese/whatever at sub-ambient temps.  I don't have an amaz-n-smoker but I basically built one and copied the design.

Living in Southeastern LA, you can really only cold smoke in the cooler months unless you have refrigeration.
    Just to bring this back up - using the amazen I smoke for 10hrs over two nights.  If using my minimax as the source w dryer tube  (and as you mentioned would get better smoke) would I equally have to go 10hrs like on the amazen? 
    Northern Jersey
    XL BGE  |  XL Adjustable Rig Combo  |  CyberQ  |  Maverick 733
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Don't know how long a minimax will go in low and slow mode, but I have cold smoked with a number of different techniques, including a rig I built with refrigeration so I could smoke fish/cheese/whatever at sub-ambient temps.  I don't have an amaz-n-smoker but I basically built one and copied the design.

Living in Southeastern LA, you can really only cold smoke in the cooler months unless you have refrigeration.
    Just to bring this back up - using the amazen I smoke for 10hrs over two nights.  If using my minimax as the source w dryer tube  (and as you mentioned would get better smoke) would I equally have to go 10hrs like on the amazen? 
    Not sure how smoke intensity changes smoke time for the same effect on the food you're smoking.  I would think you are getting alot more of the good stuff using the minimax (and less soot/creosote).  So the color may not change as fast, but that may balance out or you may even accelerate the process.