Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Ribs, Smoked, then Braised

Options
OK, right off the top, I will confess that this is a recipe from Malcom Reed (HowToBBQRight).  It worked out great.  15 packer trim short ribs.  For those that needed it, I trimmed off excess fat, dusted with BGE AP rub and then set them on the XL Egg with temp set at 265.  Temperature was controlled by Flame Boss 300.  I let them go for about 3 hours with hickory wood for the smoke.  I then transferred them to a covered aluminum pan where they braised for the next 2 hours.  They braised in a mixture of beef stock, red wine, tomato paste, onion, fresh garlic, carrots, celery, bay leaves.  I increased the egg up to about 300 degrees for this phase of the cook.  Honestly, they looked good enough to eat following the smoke.  They were excellent.  Nice and tender, fantastic flavor.  The final touch was to strain the remaining braising liquid and put it on the stove where it was reduced by about 1/2 and then put on mashed potatoes.  Complemented with a world class syrah - it was hard to beat. 

XL and Medium.  Dallas, Texas.

Comments