Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long do Dizzy Pig rubs last if not used much

Options
I have several Rubs that are about 3 yrs old but have only been used about once every 3 months.   Closed all other times and in house.    Do I need to throw out and get new ones or do they still retain their flavoring if closed.
I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Spices loose their flavor over time. Some spices die faster than others. So the bottle of spice might be good for many years but the flavor profile will change/shift over time. Keep using it as long as you still like it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Keep them in the freezer and they will last longer.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    DP starts better than average. The salt and sugar in them won't go bad. But they likely won't have quite as much aroma.

My gauge is to take old blends, mix them w. butter, and spread them on toast. Ones that are really over the hill will only taste like salt, sugar, and saw dust.

Keeping them in a cool dark place can extend the life, but by cool, I mean no higher than 65F. Airtight containers are also good ideas. So note if the DP bottles plastic caps are still sealing correctly.

• TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    Options
    Not sure when they started (I've only been a dealer for about a year), but all Dizzy Pig rubs and seasonings have a best buy date on the bottle. 

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• Sundazes
    Sundazes Posts: 307
    Options
    TCT said:
    Not sure when they started (I've only been a dealer for about a year), but all Dizzy Pig rubs and seasonings have a best buy date on the bottle. 
    I believe DP has been doing that since the beginning. I have been a long time fan of their rubs...
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Use a foodsaver to seal in to packs large enough for a couple cooks at a time. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    After a year I replace if necessary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i use them up with a heavey dose on pork loins
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it