Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drip Pan

Options
I'm sorry to be asking what are pretty fundamental questions but, well.... I don't know.

I'm doing a duck in the next couple days:

1.)  Direct or indirect?
2.)  Would I need an elevated grill to do it direct?  What about the fat drippings?
3.)  I keep seeing the use of a drip pan for the fat.  Where would it go if cooking direct or is that only placed with indirect.
4.)  If direct is there not a big chance of burning it?
5.)  Temps?  I see anywhere from 250 to 350 so confused.
Weber Gas,  Large Big Green Egg, Mini Green Egg 

I am going to gain way too much weight now that I have a LBGE.

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,304
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Big disclaimer - I've only done duck once, years ago...

You don't say what cut you'd be doing, but if something like a magret, I would tend to believe that you'd want to score the skin (which is very fatty) before searing in a pan (which will allow the fat to tender) and the cooking indirect to your finish temp. If doing so on the Egg, pan seat direct before putting in your plate setter, with drip pan on top, with the duck directly above on the grill. 

Otherwise, you could leave duck in the pan for both the direct and indirect setup, which is the way you'd likely cook it on the stove/in the oven (though you'd obviously have no use for your drip pan, were you to do it this way).

When employing a similar technique for items like salmon, I generally sear in the CI with the Egg's done temp around 500 and then drop to 300 or 350 for the indirect portion. However, if you proceed this way, keep in mind that the CI pan will stay piping hot from the direct cook for a while, which could burn your duck if you're not careful. 

Perhaps others with more experience will chime in with other suggestions.