Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sockeyen Salmon

Options
500 Posts: 3,177
Sockeye is back at Sam’s. Raised direct at 400*. Still trying to figure out how to get crispy skin. Not there yet. Good otherwise. 
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I think it is harder to get crispy skin on sockeye b/c it is so lean.

i always gt for about 2 minutes flesh down to get  little color and some grill marks then go the rest of the way skin down.  If you really want to crisp it up you could probably hit it with a brûlée torch or a MAP torch once it is done...
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Looks great, I can't help on the skin.  What seasoning did you use? Looks like Old Bay and what's in the other container?
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
    Options
    It’s Pride of Szeged Fish rub. 
    Member since 2009
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ...i always gt for about 2 minutes flesh down to get  little color and some grill marks then go the rest of the way skin down.  If you really want to crisp it up you could probably hit it with a brûlée torch or a MAP torch once it is done...
    I do the same.  Get the flesh colored just the way you want it (I go with more of a grill mark and sear than shown in your cook), and then flip it skin side down to cook to completion.  The skin protects the flesh for the rest of the cook such that you can leave it there as long as you want.

I also cook lower.  I do not do salmon raised direct because you can't get the color you want (unless you are intentionally smoking, or going for a slow cook that would gently brown).

I usually cook it at standard grate height.  Maybe I'll raise it to gasket level, but usually not.  It's a quick cook for a thinner cut, you have to keep your eye on it, but it comes out awesome and my skin is always crispy.  I don't typically eat the skin, but it makes it nice for the people that do and for those that don't a crisp skin easily peels off the meat.

One trick I learned for cooking fish on hot grates - put the fish on, wait a few seconds, and give it a quick shimmy.  Then don't touch it until you flip it.  You break the initial stickage and then you're good.  It'll come off clean with you flip it.

Found a pics from an old cook;

That's all I could find.  I cook it so often I rarely take pictures of it.  Such a great simple cook that the family loves.

LBGE/Maryland
    Options
    Nice, Thanks for the tips, all.  Will be having more Sockeye Salmon until it's gone, and freeze some for later.
    Member since 2009
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Just ordered some of that rub from Amazon.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

Options
    Just ordered some of that rub from Amazon.
    It's good.  I think I found that tin at Food Lion.  They have good paprika also.
    Member since 2009
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If we are going to pimp our favorite fish rubs, I have to give a shout-out to Penzey's Greek.  It's awesome. 

I usually go that Greek, fresh ground black pepper, fresh garlic, white wine, olive oil.  If the fish has a strong odor I'll hit it with fresh lemon or lime just before grilling.  But if you are just in a rush, you can coat any white meat with this Greek rub, some EVOO, and it'll rock! No work required.

(I actually buy the 3/4 cup bag and then refill my larger 2.3 oz. jar than the one shown her - Hand-mixed from: coarse salt, Turkish oregano, garlic, lemon, black pepper and marjoram.)

LBGE/Maryland
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Not friday yet, but I'm hopped up on cold medicine...

You like it Greek @KiterTodd?   ;)