Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need Advice On Table/Nest

Options
Tomorrow I plan on buying a new egg. XL that is. I currently have a medium that sits in a table, and a gas grill. They kind of make an L shape. My original plan was to buy the XL and a new table and place my current medium in a nest which I would have to buy as well.   Which I would place the nest in the corner of the L. After talking it over with a few buddies and the Wife they think I should put the new XL into a nest, and forget about buying a new table.  I believe I’ll be doing more cooks with the XL than the medium. I appriciate the feedback. 
Madison, AL

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Without seeing your setup, my personal opinion would be to put the XL into a nest. 

A table accommodating the XL would have to be quite wide, which would look very asymmetrical next to your Medium in a nest. However, I would guess that the table the Medium is in is not so far off from the width of an XL in nest. They might therefore look more at home butted up next to one another. 

You'll still be able to rest items on the Med table while cooking on the XL. 
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    i would build a new table, I would put the XL in the corner gasser at one end of the L and Medium on the other L.  that way you have some space on both sides of the XL to sit stuff as you are cooking.  putting it in the corner you can cheat and help keep the width down.  do you have pictures of your current set up may help people give us an idea of what your working with.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Thomasc18
    Options
    The biggest problem against the custom table is finding/making a custom cover. I know you don’t really need a cover but I’d like to help keep them out of the environment.  Table I currently have is made by JJGeorge. I’m guess to opt out of a table and just buy the nest. Pocket the 500+. I appreciate the feedback. 
    Madison, AL
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I love wood, the way it looks, the way it feels, and I love the way a nicely built Egg table looks.  But... over the years, seeing pictures of very scary fires and reading stories of houses on fire, it just makes less and less sense to me to house a live fire in a wooden table.

One more vote for the nest.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    What kind of table? Do you need storage or prep space? All the options have their merits, your needs are the key. 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,824
    Options
    All of mine are in nests with mates. It works out well for me. If you add or god forbid subtract you can just shuffle them around. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 567
    Options
    have XL in nest plus side table
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Thomasc18
    Options
    Bought the nest alone. No mate. I’ll use my current table for prep. I’ll get pictures soon. For 50 extra bucks they will deliver and assemble. No brainer for me. 
    Madison, AL