Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Rice

Options
I have very little experience with wild rice, but would like to give it a try. Finding any in my local grocery stores is like Where's Waldo so I'm ready to give Amazon or wherever a try. Does anyone have any brand recommendations? Links to your favorite? Or are they all the same and I should just pick one? Merci!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I hope some of MN eggers chime in. IMO, they grow some great stuff.
    Mom used to make a casserole with mushrooms and topped with cheese that was amazing.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Thanks, Darian. I just looked at some of the Amazon stuff and MN was mentioned often. Just bought a blend at the store for dinner tonight. White, brown, red, wild, couple more I think. It was delicious. Better than white, brown or basmati, which is all I usually find.

Anyway, it tasted great with tonight's salmon and asparagus!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Seed, grass, wild variety (except farmed). 

Good stuff, healthy.  Takes longer to cook than real rice.
    Options
    Yep, that's the stuff that's farmed.
    Options

@fishlessman has one of their filet knives. You too, if Im not mistaken. Is the rice as good as the knife? =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options

Seed, grass, wild variety (except farmed). 

Good stuff, healthy.  Takes longer to cook than real rice.
    Bluegrass? Fescue? I'm confused.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options

@fishlessman has one of their filet knives. You too, if Im not mistaken. Is the rice as good as the knife? =)
    Wouldn’t have posted it if it weren’t good. 
  • Carolina Q
    Options

Wouldn’t have posted it if it weren’t good. 
    Didn't mean to imply doubt. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've been happy with wild rice from:

https://www.christmaspoint.com/online-store

Tho' my experience is that the cooking time is still quite long. A long soak, at least 4 hours, and then a long simmer. For convenience, I do an overnight soak, and start the boil about 90 min. before i want to serve.

The price may seem high, but the stuff expands way up. Will triple during the soak, and then double again when boiled. Or more. The individual seeds can burst open and expand till they turn nearly inside out.  1 C in, 6 - 8 C out.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    I stock up at Trader Joe's.  
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    The last time I bought some was on a reservation in northern MN, can't remember the brand but it wasn't the one posted above.  As long as you get something from MN or Canadia you're probably fine.  The stuff is delicious!  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Thanks guys. I looked in several stores today and the pickin's were slim, as always. I did find a 4 oz box of Reese's brand (from Minnesota) and some Lundberg from Calif. I bought the Reese's so I'll give that a try.

Leech Lake site is "under maintenance". Christmas Point looks good. Trader Joe's is a 40 mile round trip! I'll see how the Reese's is. I appreciate the help!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options

Leech Lake site is "under maintenance". 
    Your best bet is to call the tribe at the number listed on the package. I don’t think it’s a very Internet savvy organization. I get mine at a gas station in Cass Lake and you have to ask for it and the lady gets it from under the counter. I think its worth the extra effort. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Thanks guys. I looked in several stores today and the pickin's were slim, as always. I did find a 4 oz box of Reese's brand (from Minnesota) and some Lundberg from Calif. I bought the Reese's so I'll give that a try.

Leech Lake site is "under maintenance". Christmas Point looks good. Trader Joe's is a 40 mile round trip! I'll see how the Reese's is. I appreciate the help!
    Leech Lake!  I'm pretty sure that WAS the brand I'd purchased.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    We also like the Lundberg brand, just be sure to select the organic one. I rinse it and just throw it in one of our rice cookers. No soaking needed. We use their brown rice and Jasmin rice also. I had decided on Lundberg after checking out different brands on Amazon, but found out that our local Publix had them in stock.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    +1 for wild rice from MN. Also Uncle Ben has a package that is not bad,

here is a nice compliment for some dishes.

Salad, Rice, White, Wild, First Communion, Richard Fl

INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 Cups Wild Rice, Uncooked
    1 Cup Jasmine Rice, Uncooked
    1 Whole Fresh Mangoes
    1 Pkg. Golden Raisins or 2 cans Mandarin Oranges, chopped
    1 Pkg. Dried Cranberries
    3/4 Cup Coarsely Chopped Pecans
    2-3 Bunches Scallions, Green Tops Chopped
    Dressing:
    Raspberry Vinegar
    Molasses
    Soy Sauce
    EVOO

Procedure:

1. Cook each rice separately, cool and mix. Best done day before.

2. Mix all ingredients except dressing.

3. Mix dressing separately until desired flavor is obtained, about 1 1/2 cups total. Pour over ingredients and stir slowly. Chill.

Yield: 1 Gallon Ziploc

Recipe Type: Salad, Side Dish

Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2009/05/03

• Little Steven
    Options
     I forget how to paste a link without a mouse. Google Canadian wild rice and look at amazon 

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    edited December 2017
    Options
     I forget how to paste a link...
    @Little Steven Yeah, Pat warned me about you. :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    +1 for wild rice from MN. Also Uncle Ben has a package that is not bad,

here is a nice compliment for some dishes.
    Thanks, Richard. Sounds good!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Ok, now I have three bags; Reeve's (MN) and Lundberg (CA) Wild plus a Lundberg blend that includes Wild plus 3-4 other varieties. Anything else will have to be ordered online.

I don't have a rice cooker so I'll try my pressure cooker for the first attempt. Supposedly 20-25 minutes plus natural release, no pre-soaking. Should go well with salmon and asparagus!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    We got hooked on it while living in MN.  Pheasant wild rice soup is the best. We have friends who visit a couple time a year bring it to us. Here is the latest one that was delivered. 

From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Here is the link to their website. 
    https://www.redlakenationfoods.com/
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Ok, now I have three bags; Reeve's (MN) and Lundberg (CA) Wild plus a Lundberg blend that includes Wild plus 3-4 other varieties. Anything else will have to be ordered online.

I don't have a rice cooker so I'll try my pressure cooker for the first attempt. Supposedly 20-25 minutes plus natural release, no pre-soaking. Should go well with salmon and asparagus!

Send me your mailing addy, have a rice cooker that needs a new home. woodmonkey@cfl.rr.com

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Send me your mailing addy, have a rice cooker that needs a new home. woodmonkey@cfl.rr.com
    Email sent. Wasn't looking for a handout, but I do appreciate the offer!! Thanks, Richard!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut