Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New York Strip Steaks

Options
Cooked a couple of nice sized New York Strips this afternoon, BGE Perfect Steak style.  Rubbed last night, overnight in refrigerator, started fire and let temp creep up as I did some yard work.  Came back and was up around 700, burped, checked coals and had a fire, more than a good coal bed.  Pushed coals around firebox and let temp creep back up, but I still had flames if I kept the temp up in the 600-650 range.  Cooked anyway, steaks turned out great.  I’d prefer to have more of a hot coal bed vs. flames on my steaks. Any suggestions on getting and holding higher temps in the 600 range?
Knoxvegas, TN
LBGE, Broilmaster P3

Comments

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Are you trying to sear at those temps or are you trying to go start to finish in that range? 

Regarding the flames,  when I sear the steaks I keep the lid open and close the bottom vent to keep flames down. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    What size BGE? 

Are you you cooking to internal temperature of the meat or reverting to some pre-egg time gauge?

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TN_Voleggteer
    TN_Voleggteer Posts: 22
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I tried to do the “Perfect Steak” http://biggreenegg.com/recipes/the-perfect-steaks/

The steaks were terrific, but I had to work the temp more than I’d like to, and I’d rather not have the flames.

I was just flipping to time, I didn’t check internal until I was done.  Large egg, by the way.

Does that help?
    Knoxvegas, TN
    LBGE, Broilmaster P3
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    With all the great remote internal temperature monitors available, I just don't see why anyone would try to cook a great (expensive) steak without  using one. It's so easy to get perfect results.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Rather than cooking to time, buy yourself a Thermapen or one of other fine  "instant read" thermometers to check your international temp for that perfect steak you desire. Then to even speed the cook along try hot tubbing so your steaks go on the egg with near perfect internal temperatures and all you do is sear and ENJOY! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jeponline
    Options
    I strongly recommend searching the forum for reverse sear. It takes longer to cook the steaks, but I think the results are a lot better. 

Also, makes it a lot easier to cook to temp instead of hoping the timing from that recipe works out. I was never a big fan of shutting down the egg and not knowing if it’s really doing what it’s supposed to. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I use a half moon raised indierect (my wife likes her's ruined err I mean well done, me med rare) So I can keep a eye on temp and then let the egg get up to 550/600 and sear them on the other half of the grid.  It works for us, ymmv

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.