Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon safety question

Options
Made a batch homemade bacon.  Not a first time project. So, I’m general, I know what to expect.  However, I’m getting some discoloration that I’ve never seen before. 

Most of the bacon is pink and delicious.

But on some pieces (primarily close to the ends) I have a brownish discoloration.

Everything smells fine, but it still gives me pause.  Any thoughts on what is causing the discoloration and/or safety concerns?

further notes: this is the first time i didn’t smoke, then slice same day.  It was smoked, then chilled in the fridge for 3 days.

thanks in advance  
XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Was your storage bag intact?  I don't think you have safety issue, just minimal quality issue.  Looks like some oxidation.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I had the same and agree it is oxidation. It was fine. 
    Or call it Brownification and say it's special. But either way it's fine. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Awesome.  Thanks guys.  

Without a smell, I wasn’t very worried......but then it got in my head a little bit and figured I’d ask the Smaht-Kids.

@bgebrent while it was in the fridge, it was wrapped with shrink wrap, then placed inside a ziplock bag 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA