Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max gravy wine choice.

Options
To all the wine experts out there.... I've only used white wine for this (I think either a Chardonnay or savignon blanc). Has anyone tried the Mad Max gravy w a Pinot noir?   Thank you for your feedback!
=======================================
XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
Tampa Bay, FL
EIB 6 Oct 95

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Maybe @mad max beyond eggdome has thoughts?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm no wine expert, but pinot noir is a burgundy and goes better with beef while white wines are more commonly paired with poultry.   
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • dgordon2nc
    Options
    I plan to do mad max. But I'm using Alton browns gravy recipe which calls for red wine. I e made it in the past and it's been amazing. I think Pinot noir will be fine. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @rrp Thanks for the input.  I'm no wine expert either, but I got accosted by someone this week telling me that pinot noir was the BEST (not even close) BEST wine for turkey!!!  And no it wasn't Paul Giamatti!  Then I saw online that some folk use the pinot for their gravy as well.  Just wanted to throw it out to the group.  I don't wanna TOFTT on this one.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you.  Alton is always a great source (interesting that he used red wine and also that he used the turkey fat vs. butter), but I do have to say I love Mad max's step by step for the gravy. 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    thetrim said:
    @rrp Thanks for the input.  I'm no wine expert either, but I got accosted by someone this week telling me that pinot noir was the BEST (not even close) BEST wine for turkey!!!  And no it wasn't Paul Giamatti!  Then I saw online that some folk use the pinot for their gravy as well.  Just wanted to throw it out to the group.  I don't wanna TOFTT on this one.
    No problem! Like my Father used to say "opinions are like @ssholes...everyone has one"!

Happy Thanksgiving no matter WHAT wine you decide to go with!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I'll be another aszhole as I'm trying MM tomorrow as well.  Kris Pinot Grigio got the call.  No reason a good Pinot noir wouldn't end well.  An earthier, more savory gravy.  Nice idea.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Who is this Kris character?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    Options
    Doc - I never called you an @sshole, or anyone who wants to use anything else. Use a $1,000 bottle or go cheap with Thunderbird or MadDog 2020 or coyote p!ss. OK?  I really could NOT care less! All I tried to do was answer the guy...Happy Thanksgiving - OK? Peace, bro
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I think he just simply offered an opinion.  You might have an opinion of that.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP said:
    Doc - I never called you an @sshole, or anyone who wants to use anything else. Use a $1,000 bottle or go cheap with Thunderbird or MadDog 2020 or coyote p!ss. OK?  I really could NOT care less! All I tried to do was answer the guy...Happy Thanksgiving - OK? Peace, bro
    I know Ron.  You gave good advice.  Except on the coyote piss.  No animus man. I'm just chiming in.  I hope you and yours have a very happy Thanksgiving.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Options
    I would wait on @Jeremiah to chime in. He’s quite the expert. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • thetrim
    Options
    I'll letcha know.  Turkey is injected and sitting in the fridge.  I'm drunk and sitting 'for the computer.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    I went savignon blanc or something like that.  Did 1/2 bottle on the bird.  BTW I can never get th butter paste to look quite as good as the master.   
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95