Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining

Options
Opening up a can of worms here. Does a turkey truly benefit from brining?  Is a wet or dry brine superior?  Will a apple juice based brine in combination with cherry wood lead to a beautiful mahogany bird?  Looking forward to all thoughts on the brine. 

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    I went to Myron Mixon's cook class about a month ago, and turkey was on the lesson plan. We wet brined it.......the turkey rocked.  :)  
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    I would offer that the background history of the turkey is the major factor.  If you are buying a chain store commercial brand turkey, read the label as there is a high probability that it is already juiced.  If so, then depending on the solution I would not add to the brine.  You can inject some flavor enhancers before the cook and get great results.  BTW-the BGE is exceptional at moisture retention during the cook.  As long as you nail the finish temp you are there.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have never brined anything, including the few turkey cooks I've done. Stuff always turns out great. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    If you want to bring a turkey you need to find a fresh one from a butcher. May be hard to find right now, most places take orders on this in advance.  You could inject with butter and some seasonings into the bird like @lousubcap said.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • theeggcellentchef
    Options
    I was able to pre order a fresh one no solution added. Picking it up Monday afternoon. Was planning to brine Tuesday into Wednesday with a wet brine and air dry Wednesday into Thursday and throw on egg with a cherry and apple chunk at 300-325. Does that sound like a decent plan 
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I prefer a dry brine: 1 T kosher salt per 5 pounds for 48 hours. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia