Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling all chicken experts

Options
jeffwit
jeffwit Posts: 1,348
I have a flock of 8 chickens that free range on my property. I built them a coop, which they would get in when the sun went down and I would lock them in. Until recently, that is. Now 6 of the birds have decided that they would rather roost in a tree. Anybody know a trick to get them going back in the coop?
I realize a barbecue forum may not be the best place to get advice on live chickens, but y’all are my only internet family. @kl8ton @Sea2Ski
Jefferson, GA
XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
“Honey, we bought a farm.”

Comments

• jeffwit
    Options
    In retrospect, I should have posted this in poultry. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

In GOT, they would put heads on spikes as a warning.

But seriously, can't you just clip the wings so they can't fly?

Have you every watched the vlogger - Off The Ranch?  It's not overly focused on chickens, but I have been following his on again off again quest for the perfect coop.

Phoenix 
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of having them in the coop? Seems to me that as long as you know where they are, and they are safe, better to just let them do their own thing. A happy chicken is most likely a plumper chicken, right?
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Well that is interesting.  Ours love table scraps.  They know the little white pail and run for the food.  Maybe since you already go out anyway to close them in, bring some food with you. They may start running for it.  Put the food in the coop and close the door. 

Do you have a fenced in area attached to the coop?   Or is the coop just in the yard and they truly free range? I have not heard of chickens with an established roosting area or home base deviate from it. 8 chickens is not that many.  How big is the hen house?

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of having them in the coop? 
    Predators. Chickens are literally paralized in darkness.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • jeffwit
    Options
    The coop is 8x8. I added 4 of the chickens about 3 weeks ago, but they were fine until 2 of them stated roosting in the tree earlier this week. Now 4 more have followed suit. Stupid birds. 
    I’ll try the food trick. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • jeffwit
    Options
    There is a 16x10 covered run attached to the coop, but I let them run free in the yard during the day. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • jeffwit
    Options
    blasting said:

In GOT, they would put heads on spikes as a warning.

But seriously, can't you just clip the wings so they can't fly?

Have you every watched the vlogger - Off The Ranch?  It's not overly focused on chickens, but I have been following his on again off again quest for the perfect coop.

Since they’re free-range, I like them to be able to fly if they need to. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    There's a parallel here somehow, with my cubicle at work.  Let me think about this.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Woodchunk
    Options
    It's obvious they have determined what your green eggs are used for.  :o
  • DirtyMingusMcGee
    Options
    Once chickens get an idea in their peabrains, good luck... Trim the tree and, as mentioned, make sure the coop is good to go with roosting/ventilation/simulation of a tree if that's what they like. At least a tree isn't the worst place they could have chosen. Mine have been sleeping on the roof of the coop for a year or two now with no issues, but with chickens it's always just a matter of time until something eats them. 
    Located deep in the heart of the Dirty South...
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Clip the feathers on only one wing, they start to fly then spin into the ground. To get them in the coop I agree with food bribery. The last one to enter the coop is the first one to enter the Egg.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Some of ours roost in a tree, we just let them do what comes naturally. The main predator problem here is foxes, they don't seem to want to go up into the tree. It is a blackthorn, so the big thorns will put the foxes off anyway.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    The last one to enter the coop is the first one to enter the Egg.
    I'm gonna be chuckling all morning at that!  :lol:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Looks like they have caught on to your egging agenda! I agree with the food bribery and conditioning to where the food will always be.@Eoin I think part of the concern here is grey foxes/other predators. Red foxes are not built to climb trees, sure it can happen just like a dog scampering up one but they lack the semi-retractable claws of grey foxes. Plenty of other predators too.
    LBGE
    AL
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    As stated, they are paralyzed in the dark.  They can not see and will not move. You have to get them in the coop or they will be taken out by predators.  Once an owl, raccoon, possum, hawk finds them, you will lose them all.  Free pickings.

Is the coop much darker than the run and free range areas? If so, a small low level light like a 25 watt bulb on a timer for 15 mins past sunset should lure them in once it is lighter in the coop then out. I am betting on this one. 
    Or
     Does it have windows and good ventilation? If it is too bad they will leave. 
    Or
    Do they have somewhere to roost? If not they need something to stand on that is off the ground. They will go to the highest spot. A 2x4 is perfect. I have one laying flat and one on edge. Different birds like different widths. If you have that, take note of the branches they are in and find something about that width.

But in thinking about it, they have to learn that the coop is home and where they need to be. Even if you lock them in there for 2-3 weeks with no breaks. They have to be taught where home is.  I would start that tomorrow if not tonight and follow suit with the lightbulb. If they can not see where to roost at night, they are not going from an area of higher light levels to lower to find a place to sleep.  
    The chicken whisper right here.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Looks like they have caught on to your egging agenda! I agree with the food bribery and conditioning to where the food will always be.@Eoin I think part of the concern here is grey foxes/other predators. Red foxes are not built to climb trees, sure it can happen just like a dog scampering up one but they lack the semi-retractable claws of grey foxes. Plenty of other predators too.
    We have fewer predators here in the UK, red foxes are the problem, nothing else really.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Eoin said:
    We have fewer predators here in the UK, 
    Carrfull, the permiscus members of parliament may be the next news story.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Put a fake garden owl on those tree branches.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    They are running from something lurking for winner winner chicken dinner....check the area for foxes, racoons, etc....
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    jeffwit said:
    Stupid birds. 
    I don't know dude, right now it looks like they are one up on you...
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • jeffwit
    Options
    Quick update, if anybody cares. I updated the coop with some better roosting spots. At dusk, my son and I went out and caught the chickens that were roosting in the tree, which would have been very entertaining to an outside observer. We put them in the coop and shut it up. They’ll stay in there for several days before I let them out again. Hopefully this will work. I’m tired of being outsmarted by birds...
    Thanks to all that gave advice. 
    Jefferson, GA
  • Chicklet
    Chicklet Posts: 205
    Options
    Build 'em a tree coop?  

I really don't know but my friend with chickens only feeds in the coop and puts them up at night.  I think she has about 12-15 at any given time.  I've seen that woman feed tables scraps including chicken tenders!!  Sicko
    Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob