Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Practice Turkey - 22 pounds

Options
As usual - picked up two turkeys of the same weight so I could get practice on the first one, which went to work today.  At 350 grid (using the Stoker), the 22# turkey took three hours and forty minutes.  The turkey was in a disposable aluminum pan on a raised grid (woo), and I had punched many holes in the bottom of that pan so it would drip into a lower pan.  I put a second disposable pan on the platesetter, with some leftover white wine, and raised it off the platesetter about a quarter inch.  I rubbed the skin with sage butter (one stick butter and three tablespoons sage).  I didn't put anything into the cavity and didn't brine this Butterball.  I put the turkey legs toward the back of the egg, but had to reverse it for the last forty-five minutes to get the color right on the front.  I sprayed it three times during the cook with a 50/50 mixture of chicken broth and apple cider vinegar.  I pulled it off the egg at 161 breast and 174 thigh.

The skin came out better than ever - could hear it crackling whenever I pushed the thermapen through it.  The 22# bird will barely fit into a Yeti Roadie (okay - maybe I had to push it a little).  Four hours later, it was still quite warm, but the skin was (of course) soggy.  It was popular, and I am looking forward to a better result when the skin is right and it's not being held so long.