Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

Options
I tweaked a recipe I found online and it turned out pretty good.  The resulting soup has a rich, sweet flavor.  Perfect for cool, damp fall nights like tonight in Nebraska.  Here’s what I did:

Split a butternut squash in half, and remove the guts.
Spread a tablespoon of butter on each half.  Then sprinkle with brown sugar.  (Definitely a picture not meant to impress:

Get the Egg stabilized around 425, and cook indirect.  I didn’t use any wood chips, because I imagine that the squash would absorb a lot of smoke.  The lump charcoal imparts enough flavor as it is.  These ended up going 2.5 hours but the key is to go until they probe fork tender.  

In a stock pot: slice a small yellow onion and four cloves of garlic.  Sauté with butter until the onions start to brown and soften.  

Add 4 cups of chicken stock and the contents of the roasted squash (minus the skin, of course).  Pulse with an immersion blender until smooth.  Salt as necessary, and stir. 

I think it would go well with some shredded chicken. It does well on its own.  

Blake @NPHuskerFL did a post about roasted butternut squash the other day on Instagram (maybe?) and it inspired this experiment.  I’m glad I tried it.  Thanks for looking.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That looks awesome- thanks for sharing. I need to incorporate more vegetables in my meals. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Love this.  Lots of great places you can go from that base - roasted garlic, coconut milk and curry, sun dried tomatoes, on and on.  Try melting a pat of butter in just before you hit it with the blender.  You can also cube some up small and caramelize in a pan then add to the soup after it's blended.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    My wife makes a metric sh!tton of this every year and we freeze it and eat it all year round.  Get some fresh nutmeg to grind on top of it.

I love the stuff.  That looks great.
    NOLA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I’ve already thrown in pulled pork from last week, and it was awesome.  The coconut milk/curry combination is likely next.  Thanks for the other ideas! 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @SaltySam My man! :clap:
    Mine...I think....was acorn squash. But, this dish you've created is on point!  Thanks for sharing fellow Husker. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JScrims
    JScrims Posts: 13
    Options
    I did a soup very similar to this.  Added some fresh rosemary and goat cheese and that was a game changer.  

I also browned some Italian sausage and put that in the soup.  My neighbor and I always give each other a bowl of our soups and his wife who is a very picky eater said it was the best of our soup season so far. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Great bump.  I need to make this again this season.  I just had some recently that had a fair bit of cumin in it and maybe some chipotle en adobo blended and mixed in (guessing as I didn’t make it and didn’t ask)  Nice earthy warmth as a detour from what is usually a fairly sweet soup.