Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tailgating/Boating - Generator

Comments

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,849
    Do yourself a favor & get a Honda.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• blind99blind99 Posts: 4,213
    dang why so cheap?  last i looked the honda inverters were crazy $$$
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,673
    I only use the small one a few times a year.  $1000 for the Honda vs $150 for this...I'll keep ethanol free in it and start now and then.  Should get 10 years out of it like my last inverter (not Honda).

• bud812bud812 Posts: 1,849
    But they last.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

Ordered.  Plus this one is quieter than the Honda.

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,485
    You deviant.  Did you get any triple tails yesterday?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
    bgebrent said:
    You deviant.  Did you get any triple tails yesterday?
    No, my buddy cancelled.  And I bought a new boat battery to prepare.  Ended up working on his boat.  We finished all the re-wiring, new seat post mount, new stern light.  Done. 

• Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 8,797
    I don't need one, but that price is so good.
    If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Blackstone Griddle
  • tarheelmatttarheelmatt Posts: 9,319
    I'd take my chances on that one too!  You've stated the obvious with those units, which is the type gas to use.    
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcocknorthGAcock Posts: 10,034
    I am a Honda man myself....but have to support this decision. 
    Columbia, South Carolina with a Medium, MiniMax & a 17" Blackstone

Talk-in' 'bout, hey now! Hey now! I-ko, I-ko, un-day
    Jock-a-mo fee-no ai na-né, jock-a-mo fee na-né

• JRWhiteeJRWhitee Posts: 4,496
    That's a great price

Large BGE 2006, Mini Max 2014, 36" Blackstone, Anova Sous Vide
    Green Man Group 
    Johns Creek, Georgia
    BTW, the regular price is $349.  This price is $200 off.

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 16,485
    BTW, the regular price is $349.  This price is $200 off.
    Cheap MF.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Well $hit. There goes $180.  

I had my eye on one of the small Honda's for Christmas for the boat/tailgate/camping...looks like I have more money for Rockwood charcoal.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• LegumeLegume Posts: 8,210
    Any idea why it says not recommended for use above 3k feet?
    Austin, TX
    Probably runs too rich and fouls the plug/valves.  These have pretty primitive carbs.

• LegumeLegume Posts: 8,210
    Read the description of the 2k watt one and it doesn't say that, but I guess I should assume it's gonna have the same problem 
    Austin, TX
    They jet those for sea level because it's less damaging to run rich than lean.

• Ozzie_IsaacOzzie_Isaac Posts: 8,797
    Legume said:
    Read the description of the 2k watt one and it doesn't say that, but I guess I should assume it's gonna have the same problem 
    Just jet the 1k instead of buying the 2k.

FTW:

If it is worth doing, it is worth overdoing.

XL, Medium, Minimax, Blackstone Griddle
    Some guy in the Home Depot reviews section said he got it to run a 5000 BTU AC.

I'm thinking, 20 pounds, super quiet, I can throw it in a dry bag in the boat and have a backup plan if i kill the batteries trolling.  After the last time in Venice....

• HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 4,937
    I've got a Honda eu2000i which is a great generator but for $150 I might have to get one of those and give it a go.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • HeavyGHeavyG Posts: 4,937
    Maybe not. They give a db rating of 56 at 0% load. Honda's specs are 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load.

My guess is they are pretty close noise wise.
    Camped out in the (757/804)
  • DMWDMW Posts: 12,470
    HeavyG said:
    Maybe not. They give a db rating of 56 at 0% load. Honda's specs are 59 dB(A) @ rated load 53dB(A) @ 1/4 load.

My guess is they are pretty close noise wise.
    Friggin science and stuff...
    My Facebook Page where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle

Did the paint dry yet?
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - 18.5" WSM - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE - Akron Jr - BS SS36" Griddle

DMW said:

Did the paint dry yet?
    Seriously, that is really boring.
    Morgantown, PA

DMW said:
    DMW said:

Did the paint dry yet?
    Seriously, that is really boring.
    And I'm a geek.
    Morgantown, PA

OMG, y'all will love this one.