Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Egg is oozing

I cooked a frozen pizza on my stone at 450 and noticed my egg was oozing. Yesterday I smoked some country style pork ribs.  My egg was kept on my screen porch so it didn't get wet from dew or rain. Is this normal? I have had my egg for 3 years.

Comments

• Carolina QCarolina Q Posts: 12,988
    Perfectly normal. Wash with water or simple green. Or just wait for the next rain.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!

…Unknown

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Is the outside of the egg porous?

• 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,948
    No worries.   Keep Eggin
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • My hypothesis on this situation is that (a) you don't use drip pans (I don't), or (b) you don't do a claening burn often enough (I don't), or (c) you do too many low and slow cooks (like me). The fix is to do more pizza cooks and cleaning burns all 12 months of the year and let rain and snowfall clean the outside of your BGE. (That's what I do now)
  • Just the egg sweats... don't over think it

XLBGE 
  • Any need to cover the egg outdoors? I️ moved out the screen porch due to ash and charcoal making a mess. 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,034
    edited November 2017

Is the outside of the egg porous?

The exterior of the dome and base of your egg is made of clay in a liquid stage poured into molds. That clay in that liquid form is called slip. As the mold extracts the water from the slip the damp clay left behind is in a very weak state but retains its shape and is then called "greenware" and that name has nothing to do with BGE! The greenware must be handled carefully as it can easily be damaged and misshapen until it is fired in high temperature kilns. By the end of that stage of firing it is pristine white in color, very hard, but still porous. Then the exterior of the pieces are sprayed with a liquid called glaze. The pieces are again fired in a kiln and that glaze turns "glass like" and are very hard. While the glaze is hard just the same is not "diamond tough" and minute pores exist and sometimes the glaze develop tiny - invisible to the eye cracks - commonly called "spider webbing". Some owners have problems show up with this spider webbing and others don't. While the most severe spider webbing leads to the glaze popping off the outer surface when there is a build up of moisture under the glaze that gets sufficiently hot that is NOT a common problem. OTOH as long as you are the original buyer you have a lifetime guaranteed replacement of those parts. The cost of replacing such damaged exterior pieces of a BGE is why most people believe in not buying used eggs as those exterior domes and bases are VERY expensive to replace out of pocket.
    L, M, S, &  Mini
    And oh yes...also a 17" BlackStone gas fired griddle! 
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    Re- gasketing AMERICA one yard at a time!
  • Thanks for the explanation 
  • hondabbqhondabbq Posts: 1,945
    Wait for it. Wait for it .....................
  • dsrgunsdsrguns Posts: 355
    That looks well seasoned.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Sea2SkiSea2Ski Posts: 2,642
    There is one.....
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------
  • kl8tonkl8ton Posts: 2,296
    Sea2Ski said:
    There is one.....
    Paging @fishlessman
    LBGE - 36Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • yljktyljkt Posts: 796
    I think you win....
  • Someone has a way worse pic on here 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Akorn Jr

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Yep
  • bluebird66bluebird66 Posts: 2,028
    Wow!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• I had the same thing happen to my XL (as the poster, not this last image), I just wiped it down and it was clean again. 
    BGE XL
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 26,622
    Cracking in the glaze is called "crazing", fyi.

• The elbows in the pan under the grill look like burnt dog turds

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Akorn Jr

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TeefusTeefus Posts: 600
    That’s nasty. 
    Michiana, South of the border.