Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brown or Turbinado sugar in Mickey’s

Options
which do you like in Mickey’s coffee rub .

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Personally I use brown sugar in it. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    edited November 2017
    Options
    sorry - duplicate post - my internet has been up and down like a yoyo today
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,529
    Options
    is there an echo in here?
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I did a batch with turbinado after it was suggested it will help with clumping, but I thought the difference was noticable (not in a good way). The first thing I made with the turbinado batch my wife asked if I did something different with it. I've stuck with brown sugar ever since.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I did a batch with turbinado after it was suggested it will help with clumping, but I thought the difference was noticable (not in a good way). The first thing I made with the turbinado batch my wife asked if I did something different with it. I've stuck with brown sugar ever since.
    You can stick the brown sugar in the oven to dry it. I preheat my oven to it's lowest temp then cut it off. I'll take a baking sheet and spread my brown sugar super thin and stick it in the oven about 10 minutes after cutting it off and leave it for an hour or two. After that pick out the chunks and your brown sugar won't clump in your rubs nearly as bad.

XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fairchase
    Options
    You can stick the brown sugar in the oven to dry it. I preheat my oven to it's lowest temp then cut it off. I'll take a baking sheet and spread my brown sugar super thin and stick it in the oven about 10 minutes after cutting it off and leave it for an hour or two. After that pick out the chunks and your brown sugar won't clump in your rubs nearly as bad.

I always dry my brown sugar that goes in rubs .
    Turbinado would be easier , but looks like I’ll stick with brown.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I started out with Turbinado but switched to Brown (just put it in, no drying).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.