Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does your evening prep/cook routine change with the arrival of Standard time?

Options
I adjust to the earlier arrival of darkness (with more lighting) but still generally plan for grocery consumption around the 8 PM hour (as has been the case for many years).  Others? 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Today has F'd me up!!  On vaca last week in Gulf Shores then come back to time change.  It ain't good on the body.  

As for the question I just turn on the Weber handle lights and continue as normal.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    No. Woke up at 0430...internal clock at 0530. Picked up our Son from work (he typically drives himself but, did back to bank shifts so felt this would be safer for him).  Then a complete gut and clean of my work van. Back home. Organized lanai. Lit egg. Baked bread...2 loaves. Egging 10# of wangs now. Very productive day. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options
    @Mattman3969 - agree, those Weber handle lights are great.  Big fan here.  Too bad BGE changed the handle spacing so they don't fit with the newer design.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I know what you mean Cap.  I had to retrofit the new bands when I replaced them on my large.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Doesn't matter. I don't remember the last time I cooked or ate dinner before it was dark. Twilight at best. I always put it off cuz I don't like DOING it! That way even before I retired. Now it's worse. Woke up this morning at about 3. Wide awake so I made coffee and stayed up.

It's 6:12 right now, pitch dark outside. I just finished pressure cooking some kale, getting ready to roast acorn squash with butter and garlic. (Never had it that way.) Serving with egged chicken thighs from last night.

Watching the boys play the chefs right now. Probably fall asleep by halftime. Maybe I will have finished eating.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Doesn't matter. I don't remember the last time I cooked or ate dinner before it was dark. Twilight at best. I always put it off cuz I don't like DOING it! That way even before I retired. Now it's worse. Woke up this morning at about 3. Wide awake so I made coffee and stayed up.

It's 6:12 right now, pitch dark outside. I just finished pressure cooking some kale, getting ready to roast acorn squash with butter and garlic. (Never had it that way.) Serving with egged chicken thighs from last night.

Watching the boys play the chefs right now. Probably fall asleep by halftime. Maybe I will have finished eating.
    6:12?
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,174
    Options
    I tend to cook way less during the week when it is already dark when I get home. Yes, I know I could add lights and cook on, but that is just me. During the winter it is way more weekend then weekday cooks. Now, I will still cook some during the week, but just not as often.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I cook/grill more in the winter months (middle of NC here) than I do in the summer.  In the summer the sun hits my deck from 10am till dark thirty and it's freeking hot.  I would rather grill in a snowstorm than 95 deg. heat any day.  

So saying all that no.  =)

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Mattman3969
    Options
    Gotta agree with you on grilling/smokin in a snow storm.  I truly enjoy a big hunk of beef and/or pork on the egg while the flakes are coming down 

analyze adapt overcome

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I make changes (menu, time etc) based on weather temps rather than time change. I prefer the longer days but not a big influence for me.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Probably eat a little earlier and switch to brown liquor a little earlier.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,092
    Options
    What is this daylight savings time you speak of?
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac - perhaps we could appreciate your post if somewhere you were to ID  your time-zone location... :)  
    Edit: forum police remuneration is a few months short...  Just PM me for the details to make it right. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Beer and pop stays crispy cold on the outdoor walk-in patio table.  Weber lights are equipped on all eggs.

When it's really cold, bourbon and scotch are fuel.  Trusty, crusty, Carhartt cooking hoody a must. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I would say the routine doesn’t change much. Our work schedules and therefore our cooking schedules are ridiculously predictable. What we cook tends to change, but that’s a response to the weather. I get fewer pics because the outdoor lighting isn’t great for good photos. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    I try to prep the egg in the morning on my way out as long as I didn't use it the night before. Sweep it out, fresh lump, starter cube, clean off the grate. Saves a few minutes. Got outside light at table so can do it whenever.  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

We don't change time in AZ.  Patio is fairly well lit, and I've got a couple new lights to add over the grilling area.  
    Phoenix 
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    i need a better grill light.  I hate trying to work in the dark
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Gotta agree with you on grilling/smokin in a snow storm.  I truly enjoy a big hunk of beef and/or pork on the egg while the flakes are coming down 
    I agree. Something about the cold crisp air and smoke in the middle of winter here in MN makes it enjoyable. I'd almost prefer to smoke/grill in the winter. Maybe it just reminds me of summer and nicer days
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Johnny, have you tried that light from the swag bag from Eggtoberfest?  It's a really nice light.  Wouldn't use it to light up your whole area, but makes it nice for stuff in and around the grill. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • BikerBob
    BikerBob Posts: 284
    Options
    It was already getting close to dark by 7:00 anyway. Carry a flashlight.
    Cooking on the coast
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited November 2017
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    That eggfest one works in a pinch. 

EDIT: just saw Matt's post. Agree with him...
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I don't alter schedule due to the time change. Same with the weather. Three feet of snow? Bring it on. 
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,763
    Options
    i rarely cook at night, night here is at 4:31 tonight :o this new england time zone really #%&#$
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    Glencoe, Minnesota