Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Iowa Iron

Options
Focker
Focker Posts: 8,364
edited November 2017 in EggHead Forum
Saw an opportunity on craigslist, had a good vybz gut feeling, and decided to step into the auction arena for the first time.  Figured I knew just enough, to be dangerous.

Got there an hour early and started on the homework.

Outside they were selling skid by skid of tools, etc.  Decided to test the waters out there learning the language, got outbid on a few things, but got my feet wet.

They held off on the iron until the end, which worked to our advantage, as most left.  When it started, I immediately felt great about selling prices vs actual worth, and went to war with 3 other big buyers, all good guys.  Things move so fast, actually bid on myself a couple of times, and the auctioneer said "you're already in".  =)

They(auctioners) were really nice guys, we chatted for a bit as the four of us loaded our trucks each with wheelbarrows full of iron. 

Unfortunately, the #14 Griswold with heat ring was warped.  No #2s, #11s, or #13s.

Assessing the damage today...

#12 Griswold small logo with heat ring, doesn't look used, $65.  Cast iron JD $10, cast aluminum car $17.50.  Probably the best pan out of all of this.

$17.50, $25, $25

Unmarked Wags $20, Sm logo #4 Gris and egg skillet $35.

$25 each, left is a Wagner #8.

$27.50, $35 

$40, $25

$22.50 for both

Wags griddle on the left $17.50. 
Really old gatemarked round griddle with heat ring, old CI lantern hook, Favorite Piqua griddle fixer upper all for $10

Unmarked Wags $10, small logo made in USA Griswold $15, #10 BSR $20.

From peeing myself a little in the morning when we popped the hood on a C-2 Z06 Vette...to spending a couple of hours killing time in the Maquoketa Caves, to this auction, it was a beautiful day spent with my old man.

Thanks for lookin'.

Brandon
Quad Cities
"If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Awesome!! More CI than I ever hope to own! =) Those prices are about what I've paid around here... in antique shops! Except the $65 Gris! Too much there.

What I want it a Gris griddle with a bail handle. The only one I've ever seen wasn't a Griswold (but I could live with that), but it was $80 and that's not gonna happen!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Awesome!! More CI than I ever hope to own! =) Those prices are about what I've paid around here... in antique shops! Except the $65 Gris! Too much there.

What I want it a Gris griddle with a bail handle. The only one I've ever seen wasn't a Griswold (but I could live with that), but it was $80 and that's not gonna happen!
    That #12 is getting a buck fitty on fleabay.
    Let a #8 tite top DO walk at $75.
    I wanted the bigger skillets, as #10 is my favorite user size.  I don't see them often in the wild here.  #8s, all day.

Gifted Staci a #12 Slant logo Griswold round griddle with ghostmark.  And I have a #16 large slant I got off fleabay for $60.  Love that griddle on the egg.

Always wanted a rectangle, they go for some decent coin on fleabay.  And I don't come across them here.

Filled a few holes yesterday.   =)
    Now I have the joy of seasoning them. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    I wanted the bail griddle for my large. No handle to get in the way. Now that I have a BS 17, I don't really need it, but if I find one cheap enough, it'll probably follow me home.

How is Glitter Butt anyway? Haven't heard from her in ages!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I wanted the bail griddle for my large. No handle to get in the way. Now that I have a BS 17, I don't really need it, but if I find one cheap enough, it'll probably follow me home.

How is Glitter Butt anyway? Haven't heard from her in ages!
    I use it as a deck quite often, oven and egg.  Really like the results vs stone.

She's good.  Sent a pic recently of some 60cc syringe toast from a bar somewhere in Nawlins. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    WOWSER! What a great day at the auction that was and with your Dad besides. Was that Corvette you mentioned auctioned as well? What kind of coin for it? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    RRP said:
    WOWSER! What a great day at the auction that was and with your Dad besides. Was that Corvette you mentioned auctioned as well? What kind of coin for it? 
    Thanks Ron.
    A couple of the 427 Turbo Jet Stingrays were for sale, not at the auction though.  $178K for a '67 hardtop Sunfire Yellow with black stinger, black interior.  He said he would probably take 160K.  The Z06 was worth 500K, so cool to see these beautiful cars up close and personal.

This was a '66 convertible 427 TJ, triple black, raised shaker hood was different that year, dubbed the "power bulge".

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    What a great day!

Which of those pieces will likely remain in the "Focker Permanent Collection™"?

If you say ALL of them you may need to enter a program. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Focker
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    What a great day!

Which of those pieces will likely remain in the "Focker Permanent Collection™"?

If you say ALL of them you may need to enter a program. :)
    LOL, I know.  Was afraid this was going to happen.  

I would say the large logo stuff will likely take up permanent residence, low base WI.  Most of them are ready to season.  The others will get restored in batches of two as my bath can only handle a few pieces at a time, and redistributed at some point. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    For $5300, I hope you bought the Vette! $312 for the 450 HP option!! Still, it doesn't have AC. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    For $5300, I hope you bought the Vette! $312 for the 450 HP option!! Still, it doesn't have AC. 
    AC in a convertible is a must, hahaha.
    My Dad's buddy has a 1 of 2 '70 Hemi Cuda with a factory added luggage rack. Lol

Even at the auction, a quart of Phillips 66 oil, unopened, went for $80....crazy.

A Hill Bros Coffee thermometer, $100.  People go nuts over those old signs, and license plates($40 a pop).
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Focker said:
    It absolutely is! My first car was one of these. I would have killed to have had AC! =)

Took this pic at a car show in Mass, maybe 16 years ago. At the time, the car belonged to Pat Leno, Jay's brother. Very nice guy! Pat passed away some years back and Jay now has the car.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Options
    Focker said:
    It absolutely is! My first car was one of these. I would have killed to have had AC! =)

Took this pic at a car show in Mass, maybe 16 years ago. At the time, the car belonged to Pat Leno, Jay's brother. Very nice guy! Pat passed away some years back and Jay now has the car.
    Wow, that's a sweet little Triumph!
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Dayumn Son!  What haul!  I've certainly already acquired "enough" CI pieces but, alas I'm always looking for more.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Options
    Dayumn Son!  What haul!  I've certainly already acquired "enough" CI pieces but, alas I'm always looking for more.
    Thanks my friend.
    I too, suffer from the same sickness.  ;)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jackpot! You did really, REALLY well. $35 for that #9 Tite-Top Dutch Oven lid is a steal. They are going for $80 - $100 in Central/Southern Colorado when they can be found, which is rare. 

I see a lot of electrolysis work in your future!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner here! Kudos Brandon. 
  • Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Jackpot! You did really, REALLY well. $35 for that #9 Tite-Top Dutch Oven lid is a steal. They are going for $80 - $100 in Central/Southern Colorado when they can be found, which is rare. 

I see a lot of electrolysis work in your future!
    Thanks much.  $35 for that lid puts the complete #9 Tite Top at $60.  The lid was when he chimed in, "you're already in".  Come hell or high water, it was coming home.  My bidding early on was pretty aggressive. =)

Right off the bat, things were moving much better than anticipated, at least 50% off retail in my head, which ended up being ballpark savings, maybe a little more.  

I need to set up a tank.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner here! Kudos Brandon. 
    Thanks Pete.
    A day I'll never forget.  My Dad, at 72, with cancer in his bones, pushing through the water and planning his steps in Asics, was my favorite part....made me smile.  I will do the same thing to my son some day.  :)
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Focker: Hi my name is Focker and I have a problem.  It has been 1 day since i purchased something made from cast iron.

Group: "Hi Focker"

Seriously though, nice finds.  I have been eyeing a 14 at church - nobody uses it.  Not sure the brand.  Nobody cooks at the church anymore.  There is an old Castle brand stove/double oven/griddle top there too, it must be all of 60" wide - pilot lights are always on.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I have a number of old Griswolds I inherited from my folds. One is a #14 skillet. We used to use it for camping when I was a kid. It would hold breakfast for the whole family. Unfortunately is has a small crack that was braised with brass back in the 1970's by a neighbor. It still works great. The Dutch ovens are great for all sorts of things. I really need to use them more. I'm thinking a griddle would be a good find for use with my egg. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    On the list of things I need to find-

nice haul but sounds like a better day with your father. 

Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Super cool
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Great finds - well done on time with your dad as well!!
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Well done and what a great way to spend time with pops
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    BTW Brandon, thanks for updating @CarolinaQ about GlitterButt. I recall I asked you the same question in an email a year ago, but nice to read the 12 month update. Any way to get her to sign in and say hello to us? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Focker
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Focker: Hi my name is Focker and I have a problem.  It has been 1 day since i purchased something made from cast iron.

Group: "Hi Focker"

Seriously though, nice finds.  I have been eyeing a 14 at church - nobody uses it.  Not sure the brand.  Nobody cooks at the church anymore.  There is an old Castle brand stove/double oven/griddle top there too, it must be all of 60" wide - pilot lights are always on.

So true, lol.

Hopefully you can get that 14 home at some point.

This old Monarch was the last thing sold.  One of the nice old timers I was chatting with said it was from Beaver Dam, WI.  Didn't hear what it went for, as being a big guy, I am always called upon to be the human forklift.  I played around with it, did try to pick up the left end, and laughed.  They are really neat though.  Served two purposes around here during the colder months.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I have a number of old Griswolds I inherited from my folds. One is a #14 skillet. We used to use it for camping when I was a kid. It would hold breakfast for the whole family. Unfortunately is has a small crack that was braised with brass back in the 1970's by a neighbor. It still works great. The Dutch ovens are great for all sorts of things. I really need to use them more. I'm thinking a griddle would be a good find for use with my egg. 
    Good memories @Teefus, thanks for sharing, as that's what it's all about.  Brings joy when used I'm sure.  :)

A round #14 or #16 is perfect for the large egg.  #12 was perfect on the small egg.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    On the list of things I need to find-

nice haul but sounds like a better day with your father. 

Thank you, it was. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    @thetrim, @mEGG_My_Day, @WeberWho,
    Thanks, a fun day start to finish.  Felt bad I made him hang around for the iron, even apologized, he said he was having a great time.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    Options
    RRP said:
    BTW Brandon, thanks for updating @CarolinaQ about GlitterButt. I recall I asked you the same question in an email a year ago, but nice to read the 12 month update. Any way to get her to sign in and say hello to us? 
    I doubt it, but I'll mention it at some point.  I don't think she fits in with the vibe here.

Do you have her email? 

Brandon
    Quad Cities