Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Tiki torch FIRE

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
Luckily only the lawn, could've easily been the house...

So, I've been a Tiki torch fan for over 20 years.  When I was in a townhouse, I always had a couple on my deck.  In a house, I have about 5 attached to decks and when I have a backyard party I stake 5-10 of them around my yard to guide people from the patio to the campfire and oyster table. I prefer this natural light to turning on the house flood lights.

If you have used tiki torches for a while, you know that they transitioned from plastic bottles to metal bottles to half size metal bottle.  I preferred the full size plastic bottles as they have enough fuel to last a full night (long party) and they bottles last for years.  The metal cans seem to rust out after two years and leak fuel.  I always assumed the metal cans were a ploy by the manufacturer to get me to buy new torches, but maybe it was a safety issue. 

So, 20 years in to many tiki torch lightings, I look up into my yard from the firepit Saturday night and see this...

We noticed the bamboo around the torch brighter than usual, and then it very quickly turned into the entire stake on fire and flaming pieces and fuel on the grass below.   It was a non-issue because this was on my lawn.  Took some pictures, hit it with the garden hose, back to the party...

...but this could have just as easily been on my deck.  That's f&cking scary.

As best I can figure, this was one of my two remaining torches that still had my old favorite plastic bottle.  Somehow the outer bamboo casing caught fire, this melted the bottle and it was game over.  At least, that's what I hope happened.  I'd like to make sure this never happens again. I have since thrown out my remaining plastic fuel bottle.

It's not that I ever leave my house with torches lit, or go to bed with them going, but over the years I have certainly left them burning on the deck unattended...  going in the house for errands, late night party moves inside, etc.  This happened fast...  Less than a minute.

So, just a warning to not trust your house to these $4 torches.   While it is of course common sense, to many it also seems pretty unlikely that this could occur due to the metal guard up top and the short wick.  It wasn't windy the night this happened.  Perhaps there was fuel/oil on the metal guard that didn't ignite until 3 hours after I lit the torch.

This concludes my TIKI public service announcement!  :scream: 

LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    I had this happen to me ~20 years ago, same thing it was in the landscaping but it was near an old fence that could have easily gone up.  I made the assumption that it someone leaked some fuel on the Bamboo while filling/ inserting and a breeze got it lit.

Never used them afterward though.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Glad it wasn't worse for you or your property. Thanks for the PSA.
    Stillwater, MN
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    thanks for the warning
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man you are fortunate. Like you, I burn tourches around my back yard. I have never used the bambo ones, but have a simple alternative for you to consider in the future. It is made out of copper plumbing parts, and works like a charm. Here is a picture. Easy to replicate. My guess is it is a bit safer....however a flame always comes with risk. 

These are are at least 25 years old. 

I just refilled earlier today....no canisters, just remove the top and pour the fuel into the cylinder. I should have pushed the wick down a bit, but you get the idea. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Scary.  Nice psa brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Another good reason not to use these in the living room.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Racist. Make sure you're careful at the next rally.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • kindaquick14
    Options
    Thanks for the warning!  We have torches, but haven't used them for some time.  We just moved to a house with a deck and I ordered tiki fluid to use next year when in season.  Was thinking about putting the torches around the perimeter of the deck, but now I'm not sure.  We'll have to be careful!
    Columbus, OH - XL BGE and Medium BGE
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    =)=)
    Man you are fortunate. Like you, I burn tourches around my back yard. I have never used the bambo ones, but have a simple alternative for you to consider in the future. It is made out of copper plumbing parts, and works like a charm. Here is a picture. Easy to replicate. My guess is it is a bit safer....
    Wow, those look great.  I'll have to walk around home depot and see what looks similar today.  These days, a copper pipe that big would be pretty expensive!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    =)=)
    Man you are fortunate. Like you, I burn tourches around my back yard. I have never used the bambo ones, but have a simple alternative for you to consider in the future. It is made out of copper plumbing parts, and works like a charm. Here is a picture. Easy to replicate. My guess is it is a bit safer....
    Wow, those look great.  I'll have to walk around home depot and see what looks similar today.  These days, a copper pipe that big would be pretty expensive!
    If you can afford an egg....you got this.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I've seen some skinnier versions of the copper pipe torches.  Now you've got me wanting to solder again!!!!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    If tiki torches are something one uses a lot then there are lots of better quality choices available (some costing a few hundred dollars each).

These look nice and seem reasonably priced and likely to last many years:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Tiki-Torches/Cone-Style-Torch-with-Beachwood-Stake

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    If tiki torches are something one uses a lot then there are lots of better quality choices available (some costing a few hundred dollars each).

These look nice and seem reasonably priced and likely to last many years:

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Outdoor/Tiki-Torches/Cone-Style-Torch-with-Beachwood-Stake

Thanks for the idea.  Honestly didn't know there were options out there as I've never seen anything but the cheap "Tiki" branded ones that are sold everywhere.   I'll look around, they'd make good Christmas list additions.
    LBGE/Maryland