Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Freezer burn brisket

Options
Just pulled a Costco brisket out of the deep freezer,  and there must have been a small hole in the bag as there's freezer burn on most of it, and it seems to have a little air in the bag. 

I'm planning to thaw and make chili this weekend.  Is there any reason to worry about this one? It's been frozen 5 months and went straight to the deep freezer as soon as I bought it.  Must have ripped it in the cart or something...

Just checking as this will be feeding a lot of people this weekend

Egg on?
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Man I hope things work out be-twix you and the brisket Gods. Thaw it and see what see looks like. I think you will be able to make an better decision when you see what you are dealing with. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You should be fine assuming there was no episode of thawing.  Chili is the perfect destination.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @bgebrent do you mean if the brisket began to thaw, then froze again?  This just went from the costco fridge to the deep freezer. 

Trying to empty my Costco Prime collection and then load up on the CAB Primes a local butcher is starting to carry for $3.99 a pound. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As above- you don't have any worries pathogen-wise.  The burn extracted moisture but given the end-game you will be fine.
    Okay-now a disclaimer-when you cut it open, no smell and you are golden.  If anything bad survived that environment, I would toss.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    It probably got anthrax or something from the freezer burn.  I would just throw it to the neighbor's dogs and buy a new one.
    Options
    The above is a joke lest anyone think otherwise.  Freezer burn is mostly aesthetic.
    Options
    Well after a good thaw it didn't look too bad.   Decided to inject this one in hopes of getting some of the moisture back that was lost with the freezer burn.   It's beef broth with water,   beef base and rub.   I was surprised how much injection this beef could hold.   The brisket felt like jello afterwards - we'll see how it goes. 

Used the  @lousubcap trick of cutting a piece across the grain to use as a guide after it turns into a meteor. (The darker brown on top of meat is the injection) 

Used a coffee rub and pecan wood. 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks good man Enjoy the good eats. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Will be waiting on the finish-line results.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options

She's resting for 20 minutes before going into the cooler for a 3 hour nap.   Then some flat will go until the chili,  point cubed for burnt ends, some for brisket nachos. 

Go dawgs!

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300