Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BLT Pizza Pinwheels

Options
Tried a recipe for "BLT Pizza Pinwheels" out of a book that I picked up recently.  

Made some garlic & herb pizza dough:

Rolled it out pretty thin, spread on some minced garlic and mayo, and topped with crumbled bacon, diced grape tomatoes, and fresh basil. 

Rolled it into a cylinder

Sliced into pinwheels, set on top of some cornmeal, brushed with EVOO, and sprinkled on some kosher salt.  Placed them on a hot griddle/shallow skillet on the LBGE

A little over half way through (at this point I realized it was a little cramped with the pinwheels expanding and I removed 3)

Flipped them over as the bottom was dark enough that I didn't want them to burn.  End result:

My wife and I were a bit underwhelmed by these and figured we'd give them a 6 out of 10 score.  I'm thinking they need a little something extra like maybe cheese, marinara sauce, or possibly a topping of tomatoes, basil, EVOO (or bruschetta toppings).  When trying a new-to-me recipe, I usually go by the recipe the first time before tweaking it to our tastes.  If nothing else, it was fun trying something different.  

Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,733
    Options
    Those look delicious!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    Great looking cook.  Got some nice colour from the pan.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Those look good!

Was there too much dough vs. filling? Maybe tweaking that will make them better for you. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    caliking said:
    Those look good!

Was there too much dough vs. filling? Maybe tweaking that will make them better for you. 
    Yes, tasted like dough to filling ratio was off.  Recipe calls for 1/2 cup each of basil, tomatoes, and bacon.  On some bites we couldn’t taste the filling.    I will definitely make some adjustments or additions.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA