Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb curry recipe needed

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I got some lamb out the other day and then didn't use it. I'm craving Indian so does anyone have a good lamb curry recipe?  Thinking of trying something on the Egg in a cast iron frying pan or a pot with a lid but may end up doing it on the stove. I don't have a great amount of spices but I may have enough to get by (got some garam Marsala somewhere). 
Any advice would be great. 
Thanks. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    My go to recipe for curry, but you need spices, mixing garam massala into meat isn't curry.

• gmac
    Options
    Eoin said:
    My go to recipe for curry, but you need spices, mixing garam massala into meat isn't curry.

Thanks. I have everything but the green cardamom and the tamarind juice. Cardamom I can get but the juice may be unlikely around here. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    You can often buy tamarind paste in small jars as concentrate. Juice is just steeped dry tamarind.

Lamb is good for curry, makes nice gravy.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Some ideas:

Curry, Lamb, Green Apples, Thailand

This lively stir-fry is a quick and aromatic entrée for lamb lovers.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 Tbs & 2 tsp vegetable oil
    1 medium onion, chopped
    5 cloves garlic, minced
    1 Tbs & 2 tsp A Taste of Thai Red Curry Paste
    1& 1/4 lbs pre-cut lamb chunks*, bite size pieces
    2 Tbs A Taste of Thai Fish Sauce
    1 cup loosely packed fresh basil, roughly chopped
    2 Granny Smith apples, unpeeled, cut in chunks
    Optional:
    A Taste of Thai Jasmine Rice or Rice Noodles

PROCEDURE:

1. To save time; ask the butcher to bone and cut a small leg of lamb into bite size chunks while you shop.

2. Add oil to skillet and heat over a medium high heat. Add onions, garlic, and Curry. Cook for 3-4 minutes until Curry is dissolved, and garlic starts to soften.

3. Add lamb and stir-fry for 4-6 minutes, or until lamb is almost cooked through (still pink inside). Do not over cook, or lamb will be tough.

4. Add Fish Sauce, basil, and apples. Stir-fry until apples are heated through, about 1-2 minutes. Serve with Jasmine Rice or Rice Noodles.

Servings: 4

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Wok

Source
    Source: A Taste of Thai, 2007/05/25

Lamb, Curry, Kashmiri-Style, Indian

This curry originated in Kashmir, and derives its name from the chilies originally used in the dish. The chili powder may be reduced for a milder flavor, just add the paprika and 2 teaspoons tomato puree (paste) to retain the color.

INGREDIENTS:
    4 Tbs vegetable oil
    1/4 tsp asafoetida
    900g --2 Lbs Lean lamb, cubed
    1 Piece Fresh ginger, 5 cm/2 in long, crushed
    2 Clovers Garlic, crushed
    4 Tbs masala paste
    1 tsp chili powder or 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
    8-10 strands saffron (optional), plus more for garnishing
    Salt, to taste
    150ml 1/2 Cup Natural (plain) yogurt, beaten

Procedure:

1. Heat the oil in a pan and fry the asafoetida and lamb, stirring well to seal the meat. Reduce the heat, cover and cook for about 10 minutes.

2. Add all the remaining ingredients except the yogurt and almonds and mix well. If the meat is too dry, add a very small quantity of boiling water. Cover the pan and cook on a low heat for a further 10 minutes.

3. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool a little. Add the yogurt, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring constantly to avoid curdling. Return to a low heat and cook uncovered until thick. Garnish with a spoonful of yogurt and a few saffron strands.

Yield: 4-6

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Source: Carol, Asian Online, 2009/01/14
    Web Page: http://www.asianonlinerecipe.com/recipes/kashmiri-style-lamb.php

Lamb, Leg, Boneless, Curry, Floyd

My father-in-law (Floyd) makes this for the holidays.  My mom told him we (me and my sisters) would never eat lamb.  Boy was she wrong!  This is so good - words can't give it justice.

INGREDIENTS:
    1 5 Lbs leg of lamb, Boneless
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    1 Tbs curry powder
    1 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 onions, finely chopped
    1/2 cup dry vermouth
    1/8 cup water (add water last, not too much)

Procedure:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees

2. Place lamb on rack in roasting dish (if you add water to the bottom of the pan – clean up will go a lot smoother and it really cuts down on smoke, etc.).

3. Sprinkle lamb with lemon juice

4. Mix garlic, curry, salt and pepper with water to make a paste

5. Spread the paste over the lamb

6. Cook for 30 minutes

7. Remove the lamb from the oven and slowly pour vermouth over the top so as not to disturb onion.

8. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees, return lam and cook until meat thermometer reads 150 degrees for medium or for 15 minutes per pound for medium.

9. Let lamb sit for 10 minutes prior to slicing.

Recipe Type: Main Dish, Meat

Source
    Author: Floyd Berger
    Source: BGE Forum, ViennaJack, 2008/02/08
    Web Page:

Author Notes
    Here's a 4.5# curried boneless Leg of Lamb I did this evening. I generally followed this recipe: . I cooked indirect at 400*, then 350* until 145* internal per the directions in the recipe.

Going on the egg:

Coming off, a couple hours later:

Sliced:

Overall result was excellent. I did not remove the net before I cooked, which was a mistake - the onion-curry paste came off with the net before I sliced it. I served the crust in a bowl on the side with instructions to "help yourself to some crustiness too" and it worked out fine.

Enjoy,
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Jack in Vienna, VA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @gmac - that recipe looks pretty good. Don't worry if  you don't have the green cardamom or tamarind juice. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options
    I just read the recipe (scanned pic) and seems legit.
    Like Cali said, dont worry if you do not have it.
    But if you are gonna get it at an Indian grocery store, also add 2 black cardamoms to it along with 2 bay leaves.
    Also, at the point where you add the tamarind paste, add a chopped ripe tomato. If using tamarind paste, add only less than a teaspoon like 1/2 or 3/4 and see if its OK. 4 Tbsp will be way too much. 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Eoin
    Options
    Aviator said:
    I just read the recipe (scanned pic) and seems legit.
    Like Cali said, dont worry if you do not have it.
    But if you are gonna get it at an Indian grocery store, also add 2 black cardamoms to it along with 2 bay leaves.
    Also, at the point where you add the tamarind paste, add a chopped ripe tomato. If using tamarind paste, add only less than a teaspoon like 1/2 or 3/4 and see if its OK. 4 Tbsp will be way too much. 
    Yes, the juice when you steep tamarind is quite weak, paste usually has instructions to dilute on the jar. I don't mind missing the tamarind but have to have cardomans because I like them. A bit of tomato makes thicker gravy.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Try using a Rogan Josh as a marinade and coating while cooking. The mix usually includes yogurt, so there is some ferment flavor added during the marinade time, and the milk solids form a pasty crust when the lamb cubes are finally cooked.
  • gmac
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Awesome everyone. Thanks so much. Here in Southern Ontario Canada we don't have any access to any legitimate Indian, Thai, etc ingredients. I know in Toronto there are good Indian grocers but that's 2+ hrs away. I love matar paneer but you can't find paneer anywhere either so I may have to try to make my own. I do have "de-corticated" cardamom. May sprinkle a bit of that on. No ones fault but mine if it sucks. 

I wanted to go for Indian on my Birthday but 2/4 kids won't eat it and I wanted to include everyone but now I'm craving something Indian in nature. 

I'm gonna do my best to try to go with the one above and cook it on the Egg.  Stay tuned for possible pictures. 
  • gmac
    Options
    First picture. Tried to cook while talking to my boss so didn't get prep shots. 

• gmac
    Options
    Added some broccoli for "colour" and some 2% yogurt. Thought I bought full fat but I guess not. Seems to have split but that seems to happen whenever I cook with yogurt. Wanted some creaminess. 
  • gmac
    Options
    If anyone cares this was not good. A plated picture would have been a waste of "film". SWMBO thought it was ok but she married me so what does she know?  Back to the drawing board. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @gmac - what didn't you like about it ? Sincere question so some of us can maybe help you troubleshoot.

Personally, I wouldn't have opted for broccoli. It tends to tone the flavors down to the point of making it bland.

And making paneer is relatively simple. My mom always made it at home, and in fact I didn't quite know that people bought paneer until I was married. Up until then, I made paneer pretty regularly because I thought that was the only way to do it :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Options
    gmac said:
    First picture. Tried to cook while talking to my boss so didn't get prep shots. 

This is what you are aiming for. Madras doesn't have yoghurt in. If you wanted veg, a side dish with spiced broccoli and potato would have been better than mixing the veg into the curry.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Here's a little tip about adding cultured milk products to your dish:

When adding yogurts, sour cream, cream cheese and similar cultured (acidic preserved) milk products, add them last and after it's cooled some or it can separate and appear granular and un-creamy.

This is not an issue with butter, milk or cream, typically.  Of course if you acidify milk, it's gonna curdle, so watch your pH.

All advice here based on my experience.
    Options
    "If anyone cares this was not good"

You have to start somewhere, and, IMO, Indian style cooking is quite daunting. So many spices to balance.

For creaminess, you might want to try getting some coconut milk powder. Has a long shelf life, and blends well w. regular cream.

Personally, I don't know of any Indian dishes that use broccoli. Cauliflower, yes, but that's not very colorful, unless you happen across a head of orange cauliflower. Tomatoes added to the sauce would be pretty standard.
  • Eoin
    edited October 2017
    Options
    gdenby said:
    "If anyone cares this was not good"

You have to start somewhere, and, IMO, Indian style cooking is quite daunting. So many spices to balance.

For creaminess, you might want to try getting some coconut milk powder. Has a long shelf life, and blends well w. regular cream.

Personally, I don't know of any Indian dishes that use broccoli. Cauliflower, yes, but that's not very colorful, unless you happen across a head of orange cauliflower. Tomatoes added to the sauce would be pretty standard.
    It is daunting and takes practice. Buying sauce in a jar, or buying supermarket ready made curries, is nothing like cooking curry from scratch.

@gmac keep trying, it's worth the effort in the long run.
  • gmac
    Options
    caliking said:
    @gmac - what didn't you like about it ? Sincere question so some of us can maybe help you troubleshoot.

Personally, I wouldn't have opted for broccoli. It tends to tone the flavors down to the point of making it bland.

And making paneer is relatively simple. My mom always made it at home, and in fact I didn't quite know that people bought paneer until I was married. Up until then, I made paneer pretty regularly because I thought that was the only way to do it :)
    I agree that broccoli wasn't a good choice. I jokingly said colour but really it was the only vegetable we had handy. 

It it was ok and like @Eoin stated above, I should have stopped when I had followed the recipe and not tried to ad lib. Live and learn. I will try again for sure, this may have been a bit of a failure but lessons learned too. 

Thanks again everyone. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Recipe posted by @Eoin above looks good!
    My go to curry recipe/method is Double Fried Pork Curry from 'Curry Curry Curry' by Ranjit Rai, recommended by @caliking . It works well for other meat too. I usually omit the second fry and it's still good. Coconut cream/milk added at the very end.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1190032/refried-pork-curry-and-malaysian-roti-canai
    Google for Indian grocers in London near you. 

canuckland
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For the next time around, check out:

https://spicetrekkers.com/recipes?category=lamb

Great recipes, and great spices to make them, tho' somewhat expensive. I use their stuff for special meals. Day to day, I use what I find at the Indian/Pakistani grocery I luckily have in town.