Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Riverse sear ribeye

Options
Got home from work early today and decided to cook some steak.  Wasn't feeling any rubs so I went the classic salt and pepper route.  The egg settled about the 290 range and I threw the steak on indirect until IT was between 125-130.  Took the PS out and let the dome temp get up past 600 degrees and seared for 90 ish seconds maybe 2 minutes.  It wasn't a particularly thick cut so I went dome open just to finish the outside.

I had tried reverse sear a couple times before with mixed results, but I was pleased with how well this turned out.  I respect the hell out of the guys on here who remember to get plated pics before they eat their food.  Hats of to you and I hope some day I have the same self control
Large & 36" Blackstone
Memphis, TN

Comments

• SuperCooper
    Options
    What is that piece you are searing on?
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    Big fan of reverse sear since learning about it here. Nice lookin ribeye. 

Did is you use the PS to sear it on?
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    Fav cook. 125-130 IT seems kinda high before the sear. What was your desired final temp? I cook mine till around 110 IT then let it rest for a couple of minutes and throw it on at around 600 for a 90 seconds or so and it comes out at 125 medium rare.
    O-Town, FL

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    ewyllins said:
    Fav cook. 125-130 IT seems kinda high before the sear. What was your desired final temp? I cook mine till around 110 IT then let it rest for a couple of minutes and throw it on at around 600 for a 90 seconds or so and it comes out at 125 medium rare.
    FWIW, I always pull mine around 127-130 max, pull out the platesetter, let the steaks sit on the counter for 10 minutes or so, and then do a quick 30-60 second sear on each side.

I've found that as long as you don't reverse sear them at too high a temp, there won't be much carryover.  And if the dome stays open, lower vent closed, even after the sear mine will max out at 135.   I prefer right between MR & medium, so it works for me.  We cook pretty think steaks, so that probably has something to do with it.  Typically 1.5" and above
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • cmclean
    cmclean Posts: 45
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    ewyllins said:
    FWIW, I always pull mine around 127-130 max, pull out the platesetter, let the steaks sit on the counter for 10 minutes or so, and then do a quick 30-60 second sear on each side.

I've found that as long as you don't reverse sear them at too high a temp, there won't be much carryover.  And if the dome stays open, lower vent closed, even after the sear mine will max out at 135.   I prefer right between MR & medium, so it works for me.  We cook pretty think steaks, so that probably has something to do with it.  Typically 1.5" and above
    I'm in the same boat.  My girlfriend prefers her steak to be closer to medium than medium rare.  I also let mine sit for at least 10 min or so while the egg heats up to temp so Its not really getting to much hotter in the center.  
    Large & 36" Blackstone
    Memphis, TN