Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's a 'Bigun', Could Use any Advice You Could Provide

Options
XC242
XC242 Posts: 1,208
21 pound Prime chunk of steer, wow! Have cooked a couple of briskets before and they turned out great but they were in the 11-13 lb range so I'm a little nervous about this one. I've got a rib rack to drape it owner on my large so it should fit, correct? Wasn't planning on cooking one this big but it was on sale and the last one they had left so this one it is.

Anything I should be aware of that might be different about cooking one this size? Making it for lunch this week for my co-workers. Planning on overnight at 250 so could anyone give me a ballpark time on when to start it the night before. I'm off work the day of the meal so spending time with it in the morning is not an issue. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    XC242 said:
    21 pound Prime chunk of steer, wow! Have cooked a couple of briskets before and they turned out great but they were in the 11-13 lb range so I'm a little nervous about this one. I've got a rib rack to drape it owner on my large so it should fit, correct? Wasn't planning on cooking one this big but it was on sale and the last one they had left so this one it is.

Anything I should be aware of that might be different about cooking one this size? Making it for lunch this week for my co-workers. Planning on overnight at 250 so could anyone give me a ballpark time on when to start it the night before. I'm off work the day of the meal so spending time with it in the morning is not an issue. 

I have never cooked one this size but I cannot imaging doing it any different, it will just take longer. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I'm with @JRWhitee.  Nothing changes except the time variable.  So scale up what you have used as guidance in the past.  One observation when having to drape the brisket-while elevated in the dome it will cook quicker than if just flat on the grid due to reflected heat.  Also make sure to adequately foil protect any section that is outside your heat deflector.
    Depending on the brisket dimensions, it make not be as much of a fit challenge as you anticipate.  The length-width is quite cow dependent.  I have had 10 lb'ers as long as 15 lb'rs.  You will also trim a few pounds before starting the event.  FWIW-
    Above all, have fun.
    Edit:  make sure you have a good sized drip pan for the renderings as there will be a good amount.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The bigger the brisket, the more forgiving the cook.  Like the fine folks above said, it's the same process but takes longer.
    Options
    I trimmed some off my last brisket to make it a better fit in the Egg and made brisket burgers with the trimmings. 
    Was a Win-Win in my mind. I did not need over 20#s of brisket and the burgers were great.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • XC242
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I trimmed some off my last brisket to make it a better fit in the Egg and made brisket burgers with the trimmings. 
    Was a Win-Win in my mind. I did not need over 20#s of brisket and the burgers were great.
    Good idea, was thinking about doing that. The number of people there doesn't require that much meat. Haven't ground my own meat for burgers yet so this might be a good reason to give it a try. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
  • XC242
    Options
    Decided to cut off a chunk and save it for burgers. After that and trimming I'm guessing it's in the 13-15lb range. Went on at 8 last nite. This morning added some bacon wrapped baby back ribs. If I have time I'll also do some smoked jalapeño brats, Italian sausage and Kielbasa. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    Now that's a great morning pic right there.  Enjoy the remainder of the cook and follow-on eats.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • XC242
    Options
    Turned out okay but I don't think it was my best. Moved the temp up to 275 when I got up this morning. Ended up taking 15+ hours. There was a fist sized spot under the point that just didn't want to let go til the very end so I think part of the point got a little dry by that time. Would have liked to have been done earlier and had more time for it to rest before slicing. The flavor was good. The folks at work seemed to like it and ate up everything but a small pan of leftovers. Got lots of compliments. Didn't get a money shot but here's a leftover photo. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Photo Egg said:
    Good idea, was thinking about doing that. The number of people there doesn't require that much meat. Haven't ground my own meat for burgers yet so this might be a good reason to give it a try. 
    It may not help you this time, but next time you trim some, brisket flat also does very well if sliced thinly against the grain, marinated, and then grilled hot and fast over direct heat.  Use for lettuce wraps, tortillas, subs, etc.  I bet if you have a blackstone it would also likely griddle up well.

Just another option if you don’t want to bother grinding.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• XC242
    Options
    Thanks for the idea @Acn. I haven't done anything with it yet so I might try that
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @XC242 Serving brisket in Wisconsin is a treat no matter how it turns out.  Were are all our own worst critics ( and that's a good thing other-wise you won't improve) but to those who aren't into the Q outcomes you hit a home-run.  Great gesture and definitely appreciated, I' sure.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    XC242 said:
    Thanks for the idea @Acn. I haven't done anything with it yet so I might try that
    You’re welcome.  Our favorite is a mix of canola oil, gochujang, rice vinegar, grated garlic and grated ginger.  We serve on lettuce wraps with kimchi, a prebagged broccoli slaw, and gochujang mayo.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD