Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cedar Plank Salmon - prepackaged!

Options
CanDid
CanDid Posts: 106
So these pics are actually from a cook I did last month, but just now getting around to sharing. First time I saw these at my local Walmart and got them just for the heck of it. Have done a few of these so far now and all were excellent. Wife used to get salmon at restaurants about 1/3rd of the time we went out. I would try it and no matter where we went I never liked it - always dry or no flavor or too fishy. She hasn't ordered salmon at a restaurant since we discovered these. Marinade is a mild sweet flavor with a little tang and of course the smokey flavor from the cedar-plank is awesome. 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until you see the fat rendering on top. Hope you enjoy!

BGE XL
NWArkansas

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,472
    Options
    Interesting; is the wood pre-soaked?  
    Read an article today in the paper about pre-packaged meals-to-cook, an interesting and fast-changing business model.  Blue Apron was just about to go IPO when Amazoid bought Whole Foods, tanked their stock price; then when another company announced prepackaged, ready-to-cook meals BA shot back up (this is why I don't play the stock market).  
    I'm glad I, like most of us here, like to cook and have a great grocery right on the way home from work; hope that never changes.  

@CanDid: My favorite sauce with alder-smoked salmon: 1/2 cup mayo, 1 minced chipotle pepper, and a glop of honey, mixed together.  Really isn't hot at all and I think it sets of the salmon perfectly.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    @Botch- Yes, the wood is presoaked. And thanks for the marinade recipe. I haven't been able to find one we like yet, which is why I always go back to this prepackaged salmon.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,113
    Options
    We use the Costco Salmon Filets.  First I season with Adams Reserve Jamaican Jerk, then for my wife I Finish with Fischer & Wieser Roasted Raspberry Chipotle Sauce. 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    My wife brought some pre planked salmon from aldis of all places and surprising it came out great!  Cook looks good btw 
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Have done those before, and turned out great.  Wash up the planks, and you can re-use them quite a few times with some fresh salmon.  I marinade in soy sauce with garlic salt, then sprinkle with brown sugar and grill.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    We do cedar planked salmon regularly.  I buy 8" cedar boards at Home Depot and cut them into 15" lengths, just right for 3-4 portions and much less than the pre-packaged.  Soak at least 4 hours.  Costco filets already skinned and marinated in Kroger Sesame Ginger and doused with Potlatch Seasoning from Williams Sonoma.  Put EVOO soaked fresh rosemary and lemon slices on the board and preheat it around 450 until its starts to smoke and crackle.  Put on the filet and drop temp to 350. Always popular with family and friends.   

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit