Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in breast vs spatchcock?

Options
When I cook a whole chicken my wife and I tend to end up just using the breast. I’m thinking it might be less wasteful to buy just the breast, but would I cook it the same as if it were a whole chicken?

I typically do raises direct at 400. We’ve been lovin’ the whole chicken because the meat comes out so perfect. I’m worried if I do just the breast it will dry out or not be as good. 
Large BGE
Huntsville, AL

Comments

• epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,171
    Options
    So what do you do with the rest of the chicken?
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    I've been doing a lot of mine like this recently. Buy the bulk packs of chickens and trim them out all at once while the food saver is out. 

I love BBQ sauced leg quarters so I have been cutting the spine out, then cutting the quarters and the wings off and packaging them separately. 

Then I take the bone in breast, marinade it, and toss it on the grill raised direct about 350-75 and cook it like a spatchcock (no flipping) for our weekday lunch meat. Doesn't come out dry. Save the wings and thighs for big groups or dinner cooks. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    It's not dry if you don't cook it for too long.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Cook parts of chicken you like and make stock from the parts you don't eat.  I like egged thighs for my stock, so I cook the whole chicken and food save parts for stock.  Chicken soup from egged thighs is the best.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Cook the same way less time. If anything it’ll be better cause you can pull when done and not wait for the dark to get done 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    I buy the breast's with rib bones.  Strip the skin, and rub with EVO oil and your favoriate rub.  Cook raised direct for about 45 minutes @375 or until breast reads 165 internal. Cooks up just like a spatchcocked whole chicken and very moist.
  • jeponline
    jeponline Posts: 290
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I’m definitely going to give that a try. Normally I save the other parts for leftovers, but don’t always have a chance to eat them before it’s too late. 
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL