Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NY Strip with Hardcore Carnivore

Options
GoooDawgs
GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
edited October 2017 in EggHead Forum
Wife brought back some prime NY Strips from Costco as a trial before I buy the 15 pound version. 

Added some Hardcore Carnivore Black and set up the reverse sear with some red oak chunks.

Pulled at 130 and seared in a cast iron skillet with butter thrown on top at the end 

Probably my best steak cook yet.  The Hardcore Carnivore Black was a game changer.

(I know I know... No forks!)
Milton, GA 
XL BGE & FB300

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Whoa, that looks PERFECT, just PERFECT!  Mouth is watering!
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    I’ve got some Hard Core Black and Red on order. Looking forward to trying it. Steak looks GREAT!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    That looks so good!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Beautiful plate right there. I like the fork.  It makes it "real".
     Looks and sounds like I have to place an order for that stuff to try it as I have not heard one bad review of that rub. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    HC Black is awesome, especially on steaks. Great cook!
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Nice.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Great cook and result-fork placement for the win.
    @GoooDawgs - any thoughts on how the HC Black would work with brisket??  I am back to making my own brisket rub but am looking for a good commercial rub for those times when I'm lazy (and the frequency is expanding).
    I find OakRidge Black Ops too sweet (my latest try).
    I may just give it a go regardless as I too have read only good things about it.  (However, no one has uncovered the brand of charcoal used in the recipe ;) )
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Beautiful steak! 

@lousubcap, if the ingredients list would help, @VB_egger kindly posted the HC Black label a while back. Keep thinking I'll order some, but as with many things, it's a little heavy on the sodium for me.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    NO FORKS!  B)
    New Albany, Ohio 

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @lousubcap I think it would be great on brisket.   It does have a slight hint of sweetness,  which I like,  but it sounds like that might not be your preference.  I'd try it on a steak or burger first before throwing it on a brisket. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @GoooDawgs - thanks for the info.  I will likely order some and see how it goes.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Nailed it brother 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hotwingking
    Options
    Looks fantastic! I just received my order from Hardcore Carnivore, can't wait to try it.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm picking up some HC Black tomorrow.  I had a friend at work give me an emotional plea to try it last week. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Looks great. I have purchased a whole prime strip from Costco when on sale. Excellent meat for a great price. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    I’ve enjoyed the hardcore black for a while. Really enjoy the flavors of it outside of the great crust it makes.  
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Options
    Have bookmarked their site and plan to order soon. Curious to see how it differs from the many options locally...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Tastes like MSG without MSG, great stuff...https://www.hardcorecarnivore.com/products/hardcore-carnivore-amplify
    High sodium, use as finishing rub sparingly.

canuckland
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I got some BLACK today.  $12.99 for a small bottle!  Dang!  it better be good.  Now I just need a ribeye to go with it.  I hope to report back sometime this weekend.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • baychilla
    baychilla Posts: 387
    Options
    GoooDawgs said:
    Wife brought back some prime NY Strips from Costco as a trial before I buy the 15 pound version. 

Added some Hardcore Carnivore Black and set up the reverse sear with some red oak chunks.

Pulled at 130 and seared in a cast iron skillet with butter thrown on top at the end 

Probably my best steak cook yet.  The Hardcore Carnivore Black was a game changer.

(I know I know... No forks!)
    What's wrong with forks?  Are you supposed to eat it with a spoon or is there a sporkist cult here?
    Near San Francisco in California